Display photo 1418754356805 b89082b6965e
by Jenna Ciccotelli

A New Study Suggests You Should Stop Using That Shower Loofah

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Oct 02 2016

Shower loofahs are cute, and they seem practical, so of course they can do no harm, right?

Wrong.

According to Good Housekeeping, a study by the Journal of Clinical Microbiology says that loofah sponges are "a haven for bacterial activity." Gross.

Loofah sponges have gained popularity for their use in lathering up and exfoliating skin, but it may be time to rethink your shower routine if you have one of these guys. 

"Scrubbing your skin with the puff everyday can cause dead skin cells to get caught in the mesh netting. Combine this with the warm, moist conditions of your bathroom and there's a chance for bacteria to appear," wrote Vicky Chandler of Good Housekeeping.

Good Housekeeping spoke to dermatologist Dr. Stefanie Williams to get another opinion on what we should carry in our shower caddy. 

"I usually advise against the use of a mesh shower puff, as the warm moist conditions promote growth of bacteria and fungi," she said. "My recommendation is to choose a good cleanser and good old hands instead."

If this advice doesn't gross you out, you can continue using your shower loofah, just use common sense. Rinse and replace them often, and if it starts to smell, get rid of it. I'm going to do that now.

Lead Image Credit: Dan Watson via Unsplash

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University