Display photo 1461005459491 80bda158b015
by Jenna Ciccotelli

A New Study Shows Having Sex Is Like Taking Steroids

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jul 28 2016

A new study by sex toy company Adam and Eve shows that there may be another undiscovered benefit to having sex -- it can have the same effects as performance enhancing drugs.

The study, done in collaboration with Olympic coach Dr. Mike Young, followed 21 male and female athletes over a period of three weeks. Their sexual activity was tracked, and they participated in speed, strength, and agility exercises over the course of the study. 

According to Cosmopolitan, the chemicals released during orgasm mimic those brought into the body by illegal drugs such as steroids.  "Norepinephrine, a chemical that increases alertness, arousal, and blood flow, is comparable to epinephrine, or adrenaline. Oxytocin is a natural alternative to the steroid hormone prasterone," said Kathryn Lindsay of Cosmopolitan. 

The psychological aspect of the study was even more interesting. Dr. Young explained in the press release that it all boils down to what the athlete personally believes. "If they feel like participating in a sexual activity will improve their athletic performance then it more than likely will," he said. Of course, the opposite would also be true -- athletes who believe that abstinence will enhance their performance may see the same effects.

With the Olympics coming up, this information and the gift of 450,000 condoms to Olympic athletes may combine to create a different sort of atmosphere in the Athlete's Village.

Lead Image Credit: Dmitry Ratushny via Unsplash

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University