by Jenna Ciccotelli

A Campbell University Student is Behind The Popular 'WeRateDogs' Twitter Account

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Sep 01 2016

There is no better cure for boredom than some pictures of cute dogs combined with hysterical captions.

Think we're wrong? Just ask the 374,000 people that have followed WeRateDogs on Twitter since the account was created last November as a product of a North Carolina college student's own boredom.

According to Fox8, Matt Nelson, a golf management major at Campbell University, got the idea after asking a friend to rate his burger at dinner. "I got on my [Twitter] account and I was like, 'Hey, would you guys want to see a Twitter that rates dogs?' and people just lost their minds," he told Fox8.

Between 700 and 800 people send pictures of their dogs to Nelson via Twitter everyday, and he works with a group of friends to narrow down the best and tweet about three each day, according to Fox 8.

“In November, when I made it, I had no idea it was going to be this. I thought it was just a cure for boredom and, within a few days, I knew it was going to be a little bit more than that," Nelson told Fox 8.

There are couple things we can take out of this. It's a sweet reminder that those weird, embarrassing ideas we have might actually be funny to other people. And, if it isn't already, WeRateDogs is sure to become your favorite Twitter account.

Lead Image Credit: WeRateDogs via Twitter

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University