Display 73lhxwuscogxi9hwvswlvrbto1 500
by Jasmine Kusuma

5 Signs That a Relationship is Toxic

By Jasmine Kusuma - Aug 12 2017

Everyone has been in that uncomfortable grey area in a relationship – whether it's a friendship or a romantic one – where the connection between the two of you just seems forced. Whilst ending a relationship is understandably difficult, holding onto a toxic relationship can only be detrimental to everyone involved. These are some clear warning signs that a relationship is at its breaking point. 

1. They constantly flake on you.

You are the one that reaches out to them all the time and even after plans are made they will inevitably flake on you at the last minute. It's important to keep in mind that if someone really wants to see you, they will make time for you. 

2. You don't trust them.

You feel like you are always walking on eggshells around them since you don't trust them. They have also talked trash about you behind your back before. When it feels like you can no longer have a real conversation with them without any pretense, it is time to ask if they really are worth being a part of your life. 

3. It is draining to be in their presence.

Whenever you are in their presence, you are always uncomfortable due to the negative energy between the two of you. While with you, they complain about virtually everything and constantly put a damper on every situation. Off days are perfectly normal — it's human, but it's not healthy for both parties to always be surrounded by negativity.

4. They are not supportive. 

They are never there to back you up whenever new opportunities come your way. They always highlight the bad and are dismissive of your problems. You don't feel like there is mutual respect and trust in your relationship. 

5. They always play the victim.

They dodge any conversation that puts them in a bad light or try to shift the blame entirely onto you. They constantly complain about other people and never think that they are part of the problem. 

Happiness in a relationship is a two-way street and chances are if you're unhappy, so is your partner. Ultimately it's important to keep in mind that in a relationship you should sometimes put your priorities first and if your significant other or friend is on a completely foreign wavelength, then it's perhaps time to let go and move on to better things.

Lead Image Credit: Columbia Pictures

Jasmine Kusuma - Sarah Lawrence College