by Jared Fembleaux

What Your Acne is Trying to Tell You

By Jared Fembleaux - Dec 05 2016

There's no denying that college is stressful. As you're constantly surrounded by massive stacks of books and notes trying to focus on passing your classes, there is one thing that is ultimately more important: your health! 

The best and easiest way to monitor your health and listen to what your body is trying to tell you is through your acne. Yes, you read it right. Your acne! Dr. Michael Shapiro of Vanguard Dermatology has talked about a practice called "face mapping," which follows the concept that whichever parts of your face break out, this is your body is trying to tell you what is going on internally. He has identified eight spots on your face that could be trying to tell you what's going on with your body! 

Just a reminder: this practice is just for a general sense and does not mean that something is completely wrong with your body just because you get acne! Always try to drink plenty of water and touch your face as minimally as possible.

Clare Owen via verilymag.com

1. Forehead 

Caused by: Stress, dehydration/lack of water, toxins, irregular sleep schedule or dietary problems.

Solution: Drink plenty of water, exercise daily for 20-30 minutes, try not to touch your face, try to not put any products on your hairline that will clog your pores, get plenty of sleep and avoid sugary drinks/watch what you're eating.

2. T-Zone

Linked to: Your liver.

Solution: Cut down on processed and rich foods, avoid drinking and/or smoking, up your intake of fiber, veggies and fruit.

3. Eyes/Temples

Linked to: Your kidneys, your heart.

Solution: Increase the amount of water you are drinking, sleep and try to stay on top of keeping your skin clean and oil free, especially during warmer weather.

4. Upper Cheeks

Linked to: Your lungs and external factors (breathing in pollution, dirty cell phones, dirty linens).

Solution: While breathing in pollution is inevitable in certain cities, keep your phone clean for when you put it up to your face, change your sheets and pillowcases every week or so, avoid smoking and avoid touching your cheeks (leaning on your hands, scratching your face, wiping something away).

5. Lower Cheeks

Linked to: Poor dental hygiene.

Solution: Brush your teeth regularly, floss, avoid sugary drinks or foods.

6. Nose

Linked to: Your heart (could be a sign of high blood pressure).

Solution: Eat less "seasoned" food (salt, spices, garlic), eat less meat, get fresh air, massage your nose for better circulation and get lots of Vitamin B.

7. Chin/Jawline

Linked to: Your small intestine/digestive system, hormones.

Solution: Talk to your doctor (for women, your gynecologist might be more useful than a regular physician) about testing your hormone levels, eat fruits and vegetables to help your digestive process and avoid caffeine. It is even said that drinking spearmint tea can help with acne in these areas.

8. Ears

Linked to: Your kidneys.

Solution: The main solution for getting rid of acne around your ears is to drink plenty of water as this is a possible sign of dehydration; try to avoid excess salt intake. 

While each of these parts of the face/head can give you little hints about what needs attention, just remember that face mapping may not have accurate information or answers to why you're getting acne in those certain spots. Make sure you consult your doctor or dermatologist with any questions or concerns you may have before taking any steps towards clearing up your acne.

Have you tried face mapping before and have comments or tips? Make sure to tell Fresh U on our Facebook or Twitter pages!

Lead Image Credit: Alexandru Zdrobău via Unsplash

Jared Fembleaux - Loyola Marymount University

Jared Fembleaux is a freshman screenwriting major at Loyola Marymount University. Jared loves dogs, Netflix and creating artwork. Follow him on Instagram @fembleaux!