Display rosey
by Jamie Su

Why It’s OK to Be Single This Valentine's Day

By Jamie Su - Feb 11 2017

Although Cupid, the God of Love, is known for shooting his arrows and making two people fall in love, is it funny or strange to say that I'm trying my best to dodge those arrows for now?

Valentine's Day is known as a day full of roses, boxes of chocolates, kisses and sweet gestures. As the day rolls around the corner, your heart may ache, longing to have someone to spend the day with. Maybe it'll cause past memories from a previous relationship to resurface.

I was once in a wonderful relationship, which is something I'll always keep locked away as a part of my heart. We were both head-over-heels and experiencing new things with each other for the first time. After our breakup, which was hard for the both of us, I was devastated. I'd lost not only my boyfriend but a best friend I confided in, someone I could go to whenever I was in doubt or lost.  

Breakups are purely heart-shattering and painful. Goodbyes have just never been that simple.

It took a long time for me to get used to this huge change in my life and live life like I did before he was in the picture. But eventually,  with time and support, I was able to depend on myself and surround myself with family and friends. Through that journey, I realized that Valentine's Day and the concept of love is more than just about romantic love.

I've realized how a significant other doesn't define your worth; how you may just not be ready for a relationship; and how it may be your chance at self-discovery without having your life revolving another person. Being single can give you the chance to explore; to focus on yourself; to learn how to depend on yourself and to develop deeper friendships that you'll treasure in your life.  Never feel pressured or weird for being single; you're not obligated to be in a relationship, even if others question your decisions and relationship status. 

So, on Valentine's Day itself, don't fret and feel miserable. Just because you may not have a date with a romantic partner doesn't mean you can't spend quality time with the ones you love.

I don't have a romantic date, but I do have amazing plans to celebrate Valentine's Day. I'm having a dinner date with one of my closest friends who I haven't seen in ages and we're going to cry together as we watch The Space Between Us in theatres. I have a cute dessert date with another friend to celebrate Galentine's Day as we feed each other funnel cake. I'm also going to give a call to my best friend who's hours away at another university and tell her I love her. All these plans I have are exciting because I'm going to be spending this day with the ones I love dearly.

To those who have been single their whole lives, don't feel stupid or insecure. You'll eventually meet the right person for you when the time is right because there is no such thing as a deadline for love. 

To those who have been in previous relationships, may you heal, focus on yourself and experience wondrous things before getting into future relationships.

Whether you've recently just gotten out of a relationship, are heartbroken, have never been in one before or you just don't feel ready for one, it's important to realize that's OK. Take things at your own pace because one day, you'll eventually be open to the idea of love again.

If you feel sad on Valentine's Day this year, remember, loving a person isn't just a one-day event; it's a lifetime dedication. Cherish those who you love around you. And most importantly, love yourself first.

Jamie Su - University of Waterloo