Display rawpixel com 191157
by Jamie Su

The Perfect Gift Guide on a Student Budget

By Jamie Su - Dec 11 2017

Are you in dire need of a Christmas or birthday present idea, but tight on money? Well, don't fret. As students, no matter how much we love our friends and family, it's difficult forking out money for others when we have to worry about rent, tuition fees and living expenses. Here's a list of affordable gift options catered to different interests your friends or family might have!

1. For the meme lover

Memes have made quite the impact on our lives. If you know someone who spends most of their day tagging you in memes on social media, the gift ideas listed below are definitely items that they'd appreciate.

Amazon

$5 - $10 range: This meme colouring book is unlike any other colouring book sold. Not only is it a stress-relieving activity, but this book is bound to make people laugh at some of the most iconic memes.

Amazon

$10 - $20 range: Does your friend, sibling or parent need help spicing up their wardrobe? This Kermit the Frog cap comes in several different colours and can help them display their meme obsession with pride to the world.

Amazon

$20 - $30 range: If you're a Cards Against Humanity fan, What Do You Meme? is the latest hilarious party game that lets people create their very own memes. What's even better is that you can give it to someone as a gift and join in on the fun too!

2. For the beauty enthusiast

Let's talk about beauty, makeup and skincare. If that sounds like something your friend or family member loves, give them something to add to their collection or help them organize their current products with the items listed below.

Amazon

$5 - $10 range: L.A. Girl Beauty Brick Eyeshadow, Nudes is an affordable dupe for the renowned Urban Decay Naked 3 palette. This is an ideal palette for a beginner who doesn't want to splurge on a high-end product while experimenting with new looks.

Amazon

$10 - $20 range: Is someone you know disorganized with their beauty products? Sorbus Acrylic Cosmetics has some makeup and jewellery storage cases that can help any skincare or makeup junkie neatly store their products all in one place instead of having all their items sprawled across their desk.

Amazon

$20 - $30 range: ELOKI's 360 Makeup Organizer provides a convenient way to store makeup brushes, moisturizers, creams, perfumes and so much more. With its spinning countertop, your friend, sibling or parent can easily grab his/her items off the organizer at any time.

3. For the bookworm

For any avid reader, anything associated with words, pretty looking covers and books are the kind of gifts that'll touch their hearts.

Amazon

$5 - $10 range: These aesthetically pleasing vintage-inspired notebooks are a great option for aspiring writers. These mini notebooks can be used for diary entries, poetry writing and story idea planning. 

Amazon

$10 - $20 range: Any reader would dream of having this typography poster hung up on their walls. It's a true statement for a true lover of books.

Amazon

$20 - $30 range: A special gift for a writing and/or reading enthusiast would be a handmade leather journal notebook. It's a beautiful, classy notebook that can be used to pen down original ideas. It even has a refill option that can be purchased once your gift receiver runs out of paper to pour their hearts onto.

4. For the tea lover

To please those who like to sit down, relax and enjoy a warm cup of tea, getting them special flavoured teas and cute tea accessories will do the trick.

Amazon

$5 - $10 range: Twinings is an affordable English tea brand that offers an array of tea flavors for you to choose from. The reusable tin is also a pretty display for a person's tea collection.

Amazon

$10 - $20 range: Get your friend or family member this cute dinosaur tea infuser to brighten up their day as they sip from their cups. How could anyone say no to this cute face?

Amazon

$20 - $30 range: Brewing tea is an art. This stunningly designed tea set that Pretty Little Teacups sells would be an amazing addition to any tea lover's collection. 

5. For the fitness junkie

If a person you know loves exercising or is starting to get into a fitness routine, chances are they need these necessities for their workout sessions.

Amazon

$5 - $10 range: A gym bag is more convenient than carrying a backpack to a fitness class. Get this affordable bag for your friend or family member so they don't have to worry about the theft of their valuable backpacks or handbags.

Amazon

$10 - $20 range: Everyone needs a basic yoga mat to support their back during pilates, yoga or core exercises. Don't forget to choose their favourite colour!

Amazon

$20 - $30 range: To help your friend, sibling or parent stick to their fitness goals, buy them the Epica Personal Blender. This will aid them in making tasty yet healthy shakes! More conveniently, the top is a take-along bottle that's easy to grab when they're in a rush.

6. For the wanderlust traveller

Any adventurer who enjoys visiting new countries, continents, trails and other scenic places deserves a gift that represents their love for travelling.

Amazon

$5 - $10 range: What better way for a traveller to show their love than by hanging up beautiful vintage posters of countries they've visited? A Slice in Time sells cheap vintage posters of different countries that your friend can proudly display in their room.

Amazon

$10 - $20 range: This heat changing coffee mug of earth's map is gorgeous. More importantly, it serves as a reminder to any traveller of the wonderful memories and experiences they made throughout their adventures. 

Amazon

$20 - $30 range: This unique scratch world map is a poster that anyone with a love for travelling to different parts of the world would treasure. This map allows you to scratch off places you've visited and showcase it as a pretty decoration on your wall!

Hopefully, this gift guide has helped inspire you to find unique and affordable items that don't break the bank! In the end, just remember that the amount of money spent on a person doesn't matter because the receiver will love any thoughtful gift you choose with your heart. Good luck!

Lead Image Credit: rawpixel.com via Unsplash

As part of Amazon's Affiliate program, Fresh U may receive a small portion of sales resulting from this article. 

Jamie Su - University of Waterloo

Jamie is a second year student at the University of Waterloo majoring in Honours Arts. She spends most of her time reading, writing, fangirling over fictional characters, sleeping, and watching romcoms and coming-of-age films. Jamie gets distracted easily when she sees any kind of dog walking down the street, but she never minds.