Display ysnkckdkyty rodion kutsaev
by Jamie Su

7 Things to Do During Winter Break If You Aren't Going On Vacation

By Jamie Su - Dec 08 2016

Well, well. Us college students are in the midst of finals, but I’m sure all of us can’t wait for the anticipated winter break! Even if you aren't going on a cruise to the Bahamas or some other tropical island during for the holidays, don't worry! You may feel like it’s the end of the world since you want to get away to someplace warm and sunny, but I promise you that there are plenty of fun activities to do in your hometown with your family and friends.

1. Attend Christmas festivals.

There should be plenty of them around in your hometown during this time of the year. There will be people singing Christmas carols, beautiful décor and colourful lights displayed around little shops, local stores selling handmade items and so much more! Feel the spirit of Christmas and take some photos of the spectacular view and even with Santa Claus or his elves! Christmas festivals are a great way to spend time with your family, friends, or that special someone.

2. Go ice skating.

Ice skating is the perfect opportunity to compete against your friends at skating backwards and doing some tricks. Or maybe none of you are experts and will cling onto each other for your dear life so you won’t fall! This romantic atmosphere is also perfect for a date night. Either way, you’re bound to have a fun night out with your friends or your significant other. 

3. Go snow tubing.

This activity is basically like a water slide except with snow. A quick Google search will help you find a ski resort that offers snow tubing. Race against your friends or hold onto your friends’ hands and slide down together! Once you slide down, you’re bound to want to go again. 

4. Have snowball fights and make snow angels.

Hopefully, most of you will have a white Christmas this year! You might as well put the snow to good use before it melts away. Snowball fights would mean that it’s time for war. Form two teams and have the longest snowball war of your life! Another option is to just take it easy in the snow and lay down to make snow angels to admire your piece of work once you’re done.

5. Have s'mores by the fire.

The cold weather is perfect for sitting by the fire and making s’mores. Warm treats during the wintertime are always the best! Grab some marshmallows and roast them before sticking it in between a chocolate piece and graham crackers. Yum! You will not stop eating.

6. Go tree shopping.

Tis the season to pick the perfect Christmas tree! Tree shopping is a great way to spend some quality time with your family. Go out with your family to pick the right tree this year. This is bound to put you in the Christmas spirit and get yourself hyped up for the actual day.

7. Go Christmas gift shopping.

Who doesn't like shopping for friends, family and loved ones? Do you have any Secret Santa events going on? Head out to the mall to get yourself some Christmas deals; it’s always a fun time picking out gifts that you know the person will like! There are tons of gift ideas like clothing, accessories, décor, makeup, body care and many more depending on everyone’s preference and interests! Get the gift that you know the person will like and aligns with their personality. Whatever your gift may be for that loved one, they’re bound to love it because it’s the thought that counts!

Although you may think that you have nothing to do in your hometown during the Christmas break besides snuggling in bed and watching movies, there are various activities to get you in the Christmas spirit and appreciate the beauty of having a winter wonderland. Enjoy this festive season and happy holidays!

Lead Image Credit: Rodion Kutsaev via Unsplash

Jamie Su - University of Waterloo