Display top coming of age movies to binge watch this christmas break
by Jamie Su

6 Coming-of-Age Movies to Binge Watch This Winter Break

By Jamie Su - Dec 03 2016

I love coming-of-age films. They’re definitely my favorite kind of movies to watch, especially late at night when I’m feeling emotional and my heart is aching for something relatable. Books and movies are a great solution; they’re able to perfectly capture the struggles teenagers go through as they transition towards adulthood, which is never an easy task. With this winter break coming up, many college students are looking forward to staying in bed and binge watching movies and shows since there’s barely any time to do that in college. If you’re in desperate need of a coming-of-age film to watch, here are six different ones you can add to your list and binge watch to satisfy that craving.

1. The Edge of Seventeen

The Edge of Seventeen is the latest coming-of-age film that was recently released in theatres. The captivating trailer will convince you that this is a must-see movie. Hailee Steinfeld plays an insecure teenage girl named Nadine who feels inferior compared to her brother and feels awkward, lonely and unattractive. This relatable film is hilarious and engaging all at the same time. Plus, Woody Harrelson is one witty teacher that’ll make you laugh out loud.

2. It’s Kind of a Funny Story

Adapted from the late Ned Vizzini’s novel of the same name, It’s Kind of a Funny Story is a touching story about a depressed teenager named Craig who checks himself into a psychiatric ward of a hospital, learning from other patients how to truly live. This film helps people understand that they’re never alone and that you have so many things to discover in life. (I’ve watched this three times and cried twice. That is all I need to say.)

3. The Spectacular Now

Do you like living in the moment? The Spectacular Now features Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley, who have impeccable chemistry. You won’t be able to resist shipping this couple and rooting for them until the very end. Both characters have interesting backstories and Miles’ characters development will satisfy viewers when the film comes to its conclusion. If I was given one word to describe this movie, it would be beautiful.

4. The Way, Way Back

Ah, this is another film that made me cry. The Way, Way Back is about not feeling good enough, not meeting people’s expectations and having no sense of belonging. An out of place and unhappy teenager named Duncan faces verbal abuse from his mom’s boyfriend and spends the summer at a beach house and working at a water park, where he finally finds a specific place and new people that make him feel genuinely happy for the first time. This moving film will have you tearing up at the ending as Duncan becomes comfortable in his own skin and forges beautiful relationships with the people in his life.

5. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

This is not a typical romance nor is it merely just a story about cancer. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a refreshing coming-of-age film that doesn’t have the two main characters falling in love with each other. It’s actually an emotionally captivating movie about the importance of friendships and how they’ll impact your lives for eternity. Get ready to have some tissues on standby.

6. Adventureland

Wow, when was the last time you heard someone narrating the storyline in a movie trailer? Oh, how times have changed. Adventureland is an intriguing film about teenagers working at a theme park in the 1980s. Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart have amazing chemistry and play two flawed characters that eventually develop and learn how to make the right choices.

There you have it — six coming-of-age films you can add to your list this winter break. Although finals are quickly approaching, it’s never too early to plan activities for the anticipated winter break, like snuggling up in bed, binge watching movies and crying your heart out as you ponder about how accurate and relatable the film is.

Lead Image Credit: StockSnap via Pixabay

Jamie Su - University of Waterloo

Jamie is a second year student at the University of Waterloo majoring in Honours Arts. She spends most of her time reading, writing, fangirling over fictional characters, sleeping, and watching romcoms and coming-of-age films. Jamie gets distracted easily when she sees any kind of dog walking down the street, but she never minds.