Display 22 jump street jonah hill and channing tatum
by Jamie Su

10 Things You'd Rather Do Than Pack for College

By Jamie Su - Aug 12 2017

I think all of us college students can unanimously agree about something: Packing sucks. 

With summer break coming to an end (we should be banned from even mentioning this), school is approaching us faster than ever. For most freshmen, that means packing for the move to your new dorm and for upperclassmen, your new apartment. 

The idea of packing may seem easy, but it's a much larger task than any of us expect. You not only have to consider stationery supplies, but also clothing. Maybe summer vacation made us become lazier and more unproductive than ever. Nevertheless, packing is just time-consuming and I know most of us would much rather leave it to the last minute and do these 10 things.

1. Sleep and not leave your bed.

Because instead of getting packing over and done with, we choose to live in denial. A better option is to just avoid adulthood and responsibilities by staying in bed. 

2. Binge watch one more episode on Netflix.

Or maybe even an entire series. You most likely won't have the time to do this once college starts, anyway.

3. Look at childhood pictures of yourself and feel nostalgic.

Let's say you do end up dragging yourself out of bed to pack. While rummaging through your belongings, you might stumble across your sentimental childhood photographs, end up fawning over them for hours and forget all about the packing you were supposed to do in the first place.

4. Belt out the top summer hits.

Summer isn't over ... yet. So why not aimlessly sing along to "Despacito" 50 more times?

5. Make the perfect packing list.

If you're a perfectionist, you need to create the perfect list before you can start packing, which means nothing should be missing on that list. It might take a while for you to triple check to make sure all the necessities are on your packing list.

6. Tell your friends and family who ask, “How’s packing coming along?” that it's going "Well."

You would rather embarrassingly lie to others multiple times about how you're all packed for college than let them know the truth: You haven't even started and you don't plan on starting any time soon. In the end, packing is all about taking things at your own pace, right?

7. Bring a dog on a walk — even if you don't own one.

Although dragging yourself out of the house to go on a walk is a pain, avoiding your chores and spending time with a dog is a plus. Really, any dog will do.

8. Soak in the last few days of summer with your friends.

Your summer break is about to end and you aren't going to see any of your friends from your hometown for quite some time, so it's best to make every moment count. Your chores can be saved for later.

9. Go back to school shopping.

Who doesn't love the exhilarating feeling of shopping for new school supplies? Preparing and putting your belongings into boxes, on the other hand, is not so exciting.

10. Stall for as long as you can.

No matter how much your parents pester you to get on with packing, you'll try to make as many excuses as possible and stall for some time, like Princess Mindy does in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.

Leaving packing to the last minute is something many college students are guilty of doing. The process may be a pain, but it must be done eventually, no matter how much you dread it. Good luck with packing, and may you find the motivation and effort to do so soon. I know I'll need it.

Lead Image Credit: LStar Capital

Jamie Su - University of Waterloo