Display greek
by Jade Miller

Why I'm Rushing a Fraternity AND a Sorority

By Jade Miller - Sep 17 2015

I know that it sounds crazy, ridiculous, a little insane and a bit impossible. But it’s not impossible. I would know. I mean, I am rushing both. And yes, this is possible.

For those of you who don’t know yet, I am a girl. I identify as a girl. I’m saying this because I know that people are going to be confused on why someone, of any variety really, would rush both a men’s organization and a women’s organization. It doesn’t make sense. And I get that, but it totally does.

A while back, like a long long time ago, fraternities were specifically for those specimens of the male variety (of course, there’s the whole sweetheart thing, but that’s irrelevant). But, recently, at least at my school, there have been fraternities that have become co-ed. This means that not only can men rush, so can women. The fraternity of choice here at the U of R is AKPsi. A business fraternity geared towards making good connections and learning how to be more professional. That’s why the frat itself is a professional organization. The best part about it is that I’m a business major, so why not go for it, right?

But here’s the twist as to why I can rush a sorority as well, because I’m sure that’s where most of you are confused. There are four different types of greek organizations; social, service, professional, and honor societies. The social organizations are your classic sororities and frats; they have housing on campus, they fundraise for different organizations like Make-A-Wish or Camp Good Days and they’re known for philanthropic endeavors. The service organizations are the ones that put community service above all else. Honor societies are the ones that focus on high-achieving students, and the members are picked based on point averages. The professional organizations are, as explained above, exist to serve students of a specific interest like business.

Why is it a twist? Because you can rush two different organizations! You can rush a social organization and a professional fraternity because they don’t coincide in their goals or philosophies, plus, their approaches to events and what not are very different.

So why not rush both? I get the business experience that I need to go off into the real world, and I can rush a sorority that may leave me with some of the best friends I will ever have throughout my life.

Sure, you don’t necessarily need to rush both, and it may just be one or the other (or maybe even a service organization compared to a social or professional), but it’s a great way to get involved on campus, especially with the amount of events taking place every day.

So, to answer your question, yes, I am rushing a fraternity and a sorority. But this is a no judgement zone, because it is possible. 

Lead Image Credit:

Jade Miller - University of Rochester

Jade Miller is a sophomore at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and English Literature. She is a Junior Editor for the Fresh U national site. She is a member of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta and also a coxswain for UR Rowing. She loves dogs, reading, and having a single this year in her res hall. Follow her on Twitter @jade_miller_