Display art.yale.edu
by Jade Miller

The Top 10 Best Art Schools

By Jade Miller - Jan 22 2016

An art degree has become something that most people don't seem to look at anymore when going to college. But why not take the chance to learn about some of the top universities in the country with great art programs, along with some really killer art? If you look at usnews.com or any other site, or even just googling, you'll figure out that these schools are ranked accordingly to their art programs. 

1. Yale University (New Haven, CT)

Founded in 1701, Yale University is a private Ivy League university and holds the status of being the third-oldest institution for higher education. Their School of Art offers fine art graduate degree programs in Graphic Design, Painting and Printmaking, Photo, and Sculpture. 

art.yale.edu

2. Rhode Island School of Design (Providence, RI)

Already sounding like an "art school," RISD was founded in 1877, with a Fine Arts division containing 10 departments of study. About 8 of those also offer an MFA or a Master of Fine Arts. Some alumni include James Franco and Dale Chihuly.

media.tumblr.com

3. School of the Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, IL)

Established in 1866, SAIC started off as a school of art and design. Now, they have the largest school-museum campus in the US, making it one of the most known colleges for Fine Arts. 

portfolios.saic.edu

4. University of California - Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA)

Founded in 1882, UCLA opened in 1919 and has programs such as the School of Theater, Film and Television (FTT),  Animation, Cinematography, Screenwriting and many more. Some alumni include Francis Ford Coppola and Charles Burnett, just to name a few. 

art.ucla.edu

5. Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA)

Known as VCU and established in 1838, the university started as a research university. Now containing The School of the Arts at VCU, they contain programs such as Design, Theatre, and Fine Arts with graduate degrees in over 15 specialized programs. 

pagebondgallery.com

6. California Institute of the Arts (Valencia, CA)

Founded in 1961, CALARTS is a private institution just a bit northwest of LA. Their graduate programs can be received through the six different schools at the institute. But, what makes CALARTS so interesting is their Walk Disney Modular Theater, funded by Lillian Disney which is an indoor performance space. 

art.calarts.edu

7. Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) 

Carnegie Mellon is a private university that was founded in 1967. The College of Fine Arts wasn't founded until 1905. When established, it was the first arts teaching institute in the US, containing facilities like the Purnell Center for the Arts and the Regina Miller Gallery. 

cmu.edu

8. Columbia University (New York, New York)

Founded in 1754 and also an Ivy League, The School of the Arts is a graduate program that offers MFA's in Film, Theater, Visual Arts and Writing. The school is known for the famous Columbia University Film Festival (CUFF) and is one of the reasons Columbia is recognized as such a good school. 

columbiastages.org

9. Alfred University - New York State College of Ceramics (Alfred, NY)

Founded in 1836, Alfred is just an hour and a half south of Rochester and is a private institution. The School of Art and Design also awards MFA's in Ceramics, Sculpture and Electronic Integrated Arts. They also have facilities exceeding 6,000 square feet. 

art.alfred.edu

10. California College of the Arts (San Francisco, CA)

CCA was founded in 1907 and has two campuses; one in Oakland and one in San Francisco. Graduate students have a chance to get an MFA in Fine Arts, Design, and Writing. They're best known for their grad student-run exhibition program that runs through The Paulette Long and Shepard Pollack Art Community. 

sfgate.com

Lead Image Credit: art.yale.edu

Jade Miller - University of Rochester

Jade Miller is a sophomore at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and English Literature. She is a Junior Editor for the Fresh U national site. She is a member of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta and also a coxswain for UR Rowing. She loves dogs, reading, and having a single this year in her res hall. Follow her on Twitter @jade_miller_