Display 5183961982 ed928afa87 o
by Jade Miller

3 Reasons to Take a College Class Over the Summer

By Jade Miller - Jun 19 2016

Picture this: You've graduated. No more class. The sun is out, the birds are singing, there's a nice breeze and you're happy. Then, you open your laptop and register for a summer course. Wait, what? Yeah, a summer course. Think about it. I'm not insane, even if you think so, a summer course offers you great opportunities at a local college. Still don't get it? Let me explain. 

Taking a college course at a local college allows you to experience a college atmosphere first-hand without actually spending a semester at your school. 

It seems terrible, I know, but there are courses often offered at local colleges that are only five weeks. This would give you a chance to experience a class before going to class, which is good, I promise. You sit in a small class - usually - with a professor who knows everything and anything about that topic, which in turns leaves you feeling more educated. 

Still not convinced? Okay, I'll try again. 

It's college credit. 

If you're lucky enough like me to have a community college close by, often that summer credit can be transferred for elective or major credit. Unfortunately, a lot of schools don't accept credit for their majors, but the credit for the class can be used as elective credit, or as prerequisites for a major. For example, I have to take Calculus I and Calculus II as prerequisites for the Business major, so my calculus credit at the local college can count towards that. If you don't want to use it that way, consider it a chance for you to learn something before you actually have to take the class at your college, so if anything, you're more knowledgable on the topic. 

Something a lot of people worry about when going to college is cost as well. Specifically parents are worried about the financial issues that come with college, local colleges offer summer courses for a super low price. Since you're only paying for one class, you're not really paying for full tuition, you're just paying for the classroom, the professor and your body in that room. My class is about around $700, which is significantly less than tuition for four classes at my normal university. Trust me, your parents will love this. 

All of the logistics aside, it's an opportunity that a lot of students take advantage of, and it benefits not only your local college, but you as well. 

Think about the pros. The cons are that you have to attend a class, but you're getting more out of it than you lose. Sure, it's a few hours twice a week that you're losing, but they say brains over beauty, so why not follow suit? 

Lead Image Credit: Jacob Roeland via Flickr Creative Commons

Jade Miller - University of Rochester

Jade Miller is a sophomore at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and English Literature. She is a Junior Editor for the Fresh U national site. She is a member of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta and also a coxswain for UR Rowing. She loves dogs, reading, and having a single this year in her res hall. Follow her on Twitter @jade_miller_