Display 3490878867 b31b5a9c77 o
by Jade Miller

8 Things You Can Do with a BioMedical Engineering Major

By Jade Miller - Jul 17 2016

Engineering is quite a field to go into. And, knowing the way things are, after engineering, you really have no option besides just that: Engineering. But, I'm here to set the record straight. It's not the case that being an engineer is the only route you have; there are tons of options. Let's take a look at the different possibilities for a BME, better known as, a BioMedical Engineering Major. 

1. Equipment Testing and Field Servicing

It's exactly what it sounds like. Engineers often go into field that may not directly relate their track, but still are helped by that specificity. This is one example. BioMedical Engineers are responsible for things like robots and artificial organs, so it's no surprise that they would be the ones to test and service these innovations before offering them to the rest of the medical world around us. 

2. Hospital Equipment Selection and Support

This again deals with the medial world. BioMedical Engineers also work with medical equipment in order to provide the best quality instrument for medical professionals to use. Think of it as the brains behind the computer, it's the same thing. Working with stuff that a lot of people don't know about to create technology that can be used every day by doctors and other professionals. 

3. Drug Delivery 

It's not what it sounds like, I promise. Drug delivery is a method to treat a chronic disease which requires constant blood levels of the particular medicine. It hasn't been perfected yet, so the field is still wide open and looking for people to help. This is more of the medical side as opposed to the engineering, but there's still some of that technical stuff involved. 

4. Classic Mechanics

This would just be the normal engineering stuff: statics, dynamics, fluids, thermodynamics, the list goes on and on. But, these things are applied to solve medical problems through biomechanics. Developments in this area have led to technology breaks like the artificial heart and valves, bone cartilage and so much more. 

5. Orthopedic Bioengineering

Here's one that includes the name in it, finally! This is basically examining the friction, lubrication and wear characteristics of natural and artificial joints. Orthopedic engineers perform stress analysis of the musculoskeletal system, and develop artificial biomaterials for replacement. This is a combination of #4 and hospital related observations, and the field is always accepting new people into it!

6. Rehabilitation Engineering

This is exactly what it sounds like. It's a growing specialty that focuses on enhancing the capabilities and improving the quality of life for people with physical and cognitive impairments. This includes prosthetics, workplace/home/transportation modifications, along with enhancing seating, positioning, mobility and communication technology. 

7) Sales Engineering

Not as interesting, but still an option. They sell complex scientific and technological products or services to businesses, such as hospitals, hospicare places, or nurseries if needed. They must have extensive knowledge of the products’ parts and functions and must understand the scientific processes that make these products work. It's good to go into as a BME because you'll know the products to a better extent, but a minor in business could be helpful in a case like this. 

8. Installation Engineering

Just like it sounds. These guys are responsible for maintaining customer relations and service excellence at customer sites by insuring accurate imaging equipment calibration, compliance testing and equipment networking. It doesn't seem interesting but, to someone, it is. 

So there. Eight different jobs you can have with a BME major. It is possible, whether you believe it or not. As such a tough major, you'd expect something, right? There's a list to get you started. 

Lead Image Credit: Stony Brook University via Flickr Creative Commons

Jade Miller - University of Rochester

Jade Miller is a sophomore at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and English Literature. She is a Junior Editor for the Fresh U national site. She is a member of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta and also a coxswain for UR Rowing. She loves dogs, reading, and having a single this year in her res hall. Follow her on Twitter @jade_miller_