Display neighbors2
by Jade Miller

5 Reasons to Rush, Even if You're Unsure About Greek Life

By Jade Miller - Aug 25 2016

I'm going to be honest. I didn't want to join a sorority when I came to college a year ago. But, that doesn't mean I didn't join - because I did join. And I've got the greatest big, the greatest group of girls surrounding me, along with the greatest friends I could ask for. Now, you may be asking yourself, "why should I go through rush, or even formal recruitment? Is it really worth it?" And sometimes, the answer may be no. But as a freshman, don't rule out the option to go Greek. 

1. You get to meet tons of people. 

As a girl, I got a Rho Gamma, which means that there are people in sororities that disaffiliate so that they can help you find a good place to be in - they hold no judgement, even if you didn't like the vibe their own sorority gave you. They are some of the sweetest people you will meet, and, they could even stay your friend long after the recruitment process is over, whether you are Greek or not. Secondly, there are tons of girls (and boys, if you're rushing a fraternity) that are going through this process with you. If you make it out alive, you just might have a new friend, even if they're in a different sorority, or didn't join at all. 

2. It's involvement on campus. 

It's a great way to get out of your dorm in the depths of winter (for spring semester) or as a real beginner freshman in the fall. While there is always plenty to do, this is something you can do without feeling ashamed. It's an experience that you are going through to benefit you, and that's the way it should be. But you're a part of a group of girls that are doing the same thing, and it's a way to go around campus without feeling trapped in that small dorm you have. 

3. It gives you school spirit. 

Believe it or not, you become much more peppy once joining a sorority. You sing songs, you scream at a sister's or brother's games, you make yourself a number one fan to so many people. If anything, you get some great games out of joining a sorority or fraternity, and you become a part of an environment that is so special to the Greek life. 

4. It shows you the days can get longer.

No matter what you think, your days are not going to get longer than they are during recruitment. Spending hours talking to people you may never see again is very, very time consuming, and you will never be happier to see your bed than during this time. If you get anything out of recruitment, you get to know that during studying time and during your regular day, it can get worse and it can get longer. It's like a way to test your abilities. Then, before you know it, you're a pro at staying up late because you're not stuck talking to a ton of people for extended periods of time. 

5. You could meet people you really click with. 

A lot of schools do have greek organizations, and the chance that you won't join is possible, but if you find people you click with, those could be your people for life, you know? You have people that like the same things you do, that mesh well in conversation and make you laugh. These could be the greatest people you ever meet and the greatest people to have an impact on your life. 

So, you don't have to join a sorority or a fraternity to get something out of rush - because it is such a good experience. There are so many hidden perks to being involved in recruitment, so why not give it a try? 

Lead Image Credit: Universal Pictures

Jade Miller - University of Rochester

Jade Miller is a sophomore at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and English Literature. She is a Junior Editor for the Fresh U national site. She is a member of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta and also a coxswain for UR Rowing. She loves dogs, reading, and having a single this year in her res hall. Follow her on Twitter @jade_miller_