Display qofs gjme60 cristina munteanu
by Jade Miller

12 Ski Resorts Near College Campuses

By Jade Miller - Dec 28 2016

Winter break means you get time to have adventures, explore, go to new places and hang out at the nostalgic ones. But, once you get back to campus, you're stuck back in your academia grind. Take a break by visiting a ski resort for a weekend! You'd be surprised at how many are near college campuses!

1. Snowbird Mountain Resort — 16 miles from University of Utah

Snowbird is a year round resort, with winter and summer accommodations along with lodging. They often have live music during the holidays and during the regular season as well. With 11 lifts and 139 trails, this is bound to be a good get away from your average library. 

2. Eldora Mountain Resort — 20 miles from University of Colorado, Boulder

With over 300 inches of snow a year, this resort offers not just recreational activities, but also includes Alpine and Nordic Skiing, because why not? With official sponsors like GoPro and CocaCola, this is a great place to go, whether it's for a day trip or a five-day excursion.

3. Diamond Peak Resort — 2 miles from Sierra Nevada College

Diamond Peak just hit their 50 year anniversary, so the slopes are definitely going to be filled! The longest run is 2.5 miles, but with over 30 runs, you don't have to worry about getting bored! Plus, nothing beats BBQ on the slopes, right in the lodge!

4. Resort Aleyska — 42 miles from University of Alaska Anchorage

Their site says that they're the "base camp," for summer and winter excursions. With over 1,610 acres of skiable terrain and 76 trails, this is a place to go more than once in your time at school. 

5. Lookout Pass — 93 miles from Gonzaga University

Average snowfall? 400 inches. How many runs? 34. Longest run? 1.5 miles. Running from November to April, this is the perfect get away from classes to take a deep breath and come back ready to tackle whatever is thrown at you. 

6. Mount Rose (Lake Tahoe) — 25.7 miles from University of Nevada, Reno

A summit at 9,700 feet, this is the place to go for large ski drops and the classic winter trip. With over 60 trails and 3 terrain parks, even with a crowded entrance, you're alone on the slopes. 

7. Snowbowl Ski Area — 7 miles from University of Montana

Open daily from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM, this is the place to go if you're looking for long trails down to the bottom. Of course, you have to get through the long chair lifts too...

8. Crested Butte Mountain Resort — 28 miles from Western State Colorado University

One hundred and twenty-one trails is just the beginning of this snow resort's features. They "strive to exceed customer expectations," also known as the "Crested Butte Difference." With a vertical drop of over 3,000 feet, you'll be on the trails for hours, no longer thinking about your physics homework due next week. 

9. Whiteface Mountain — 77 miles from Clarkson University

With 20% of their trails being beginner, this is a mountain with trails for everyone, no matter the experience. That means bring your friends who has never skied or snowboarded in their life. They will thank you. 

10. Stowe Mountain Resort — 20.8 miles from Champlain College

Stowe has a little bit of everything for everyone. From skiing and snowboarding trails (112, to be exact), to rock climbing and zip-lining, to golf and a spa, you'll be relaxed enough to take on your first midterms!

11. Purgatory Resort — 0.6 miles from Fort Lewis College

With 1,360 acres of ski-able terrain, you can get to the summit in less than five minutes (thank you, new ski lifts). Surprisingly, they have at least 80% of their trails open every day, making sure that the uncrowded stay that way. 

12. Big Tupper Ski Area — 42.6 miles from St. Lawrence University

Located in the Adirondacks with 100% natural snow, this is a great beginner's place to go as well as a great place to relax. If you're not into the recreational activities, there's cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing and much more. Plus, there are some great hiking trails if you ever need a breather. 

So, if that calculus homework becomes a little too hard for you, take a step back, put on your boots, strap on your bindings and take the slopes! Hopefully your head clears up to tackle the rest of the dreadful semester!

Lead Image Credit: Cristina Munteanu via Unsplash

Jade Miller - University of Rochester

Jade Miller is a sophomore at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and English Literature. She is a Junior Editor for the Fresh U national site. She is a member of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta and also a coxswain for UR Rowing. She loves dogs, reading, and having a single this year in her res hall. Follow her on Twitter @jade_miller_