by Jade Miller

10 of the Most Interesting Facts About Greek Life

By Jade Miller - Dec 14 2016

There are a lot of cool things about being in Greek Life. But do you know everything there is to know? What about the stuff that you don't know? Fresh U searched far and wide to find the most interesting facts about Greek Life, and, well, it's interesting. 

1. 63 % of the US President's Cabinet has been Greek since 1900. 

It's true. It should also be noted that every U.S. President and Vice President, except three presidents and two vice presidents, since 1825, have been members of a fraternity! 

2. Over $7 million is raised by Greek organizations every year nationally.

3. Over 850,000 hours are volunteered by Greek organizations annually.

Buffalo State U

4. All of the Apollo 11 astronauts were part of Greek Life. 

Neil Armstrong was a member of Phi Delta Theta, Buzz Aldrin was a member of Tau Beta Pi and Michael Collins was a part of a fraternity during his time at West Point, although little information is known about his time there except that he graduated 185th out of 527 cadets. 

5. The youngest woman to get on the front of Forbes was part of a sorority (she was also the founder of Spanx).

NAPW

Sara Blakely, the founder of Spanx, was a member of Delta Delta Delta at Florida State University!

6. The first female astronaut for the US was part of Greek Life.

Wikipedia Archives

That's right! Sally Ride was a part of the Delta Zeta Sorority!

7. Out of the 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by alumni Greek Life members. 

8. Gamma Phi Beta was the first sorority to go by the term, "sorority."

The term "sorority" hadn't been used until Gamma Phi Beta was founded in 1874. Before then, all Greek organizations had been referred to as fraternities. At first, they went by the term, "Society," but liked how the term sorority reminded them of sisterhood, and it stuck! 

9. Lambda Chi Alpha (fraternity) and Chi Omega (sorority) have the most chapters in their respective fields (364, 176+, respectively).

Lamda Chi Alpha National Site

10. A U.S. Government study shows that 70 percent of those who join Greek Life graduate, while under 50 percent of non-Greek members graduate. 

It's true, believe if or not. A study done in 2014 in the Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics proved that overall, students involved in Greek Life do better overall academically. 

Sure, there are stigmas that come along with it, but look at all the positives! If you're considering going through rush or recruitment and don't know how to bring it up, consider this list as a way to gauge your interest! 

Lead Image Credit: Murray State via Flickr Creative Commons

Jade Miller - University of Rochester

Jade Miller is a sophomore at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and English Literature. She is a Junior Editor for the Fresh U national site. She is a member of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta and also a coxswain for UR Rowing. She loves dogs, reading, and having a single this year in her res hall. Follow her on Twitter @jade_miller_