Display photo 1454166155302 ef4863c27e70
by Jade Miller

10 of the Best Ways to De-stress After a Midterm

By Jade Miller - Oct 11 2016

Mid-term season is finally upon us! But, what happens after you finish that midterm? Here are some ideas for after finishing that dreaded calc exam. 

1. Netflix and Chill

Honestly, sitting down with your laptop after a hard exam is the best way to relax. Here is a list of the most recent additions, definitely worth your time, and definitely worth binge-watching after binge-studying

2. Reconnect with Friends

After spending so much time in the library, now is the time to finally come out of hiding and see people you haven't seen in at least 48 hours. Catch up, cry about exams, eat massive amounts of food - you get the point. 

3. Listen to Relaxing Music

This always helps me after a hard midterm. Music with no words is proven to help you calm down and de-stress, so you can re-center yourself and get focused for whatever else you have to do during the week. 

4. Start Studying, Again

I know, this sucks. But, if you have one exam, you probably have another, and another. Might as well get started! Take the time you have now to refocus and get some more work done! It's perfect productivity time because you're already in that zone, take advantage of it!

5. Rewrite your Calendar

Organizing yourself for the next month or two can be a good way to figure out when to study for your next exams or when to work on projects. Now that your midterms are out of the way, go ahead and wipe that calendar clean and start over! You'll feel more refreshed not seeing that exam in the middle of it.

6. Reward Yourself! 

This could be similar to a cheat day in dieting or a work out schedule. Give yourself some candy! Order take-out! Stay up an extra hour! Whatever makes you feel better after an exam, do it! You'll definitely feel better about the exam afterwards. 

7. Call the Parents

Telling your parents about all the things that were on the exam, things you knew and things you didn't, will help you destress because you're finally letting all of that information leave your brain and putting in on your parents. I know it seems kind of like your unloading on them, but even your parents want to hear about your day, and if that includes an exam, so be it! They'd love to know if you just ate vegetables that day, so this would be a huge step up. 

8. Take a Nap

Naps are proven to help before a test. That being said, don't be afraid to take one after the test too! Your brain will be tired, you'll be tired, sleeping is a great way to reward yourself (see point six). 

9. Take a Shower

Warm showers will help you destress. This is a given. Not only because it's a warm shower, but because the warmth will help to loosen your muscles so you're physically not tense anymore. That will help you take deeper breaths, lower the heart rate and, overall, be more relaxed. 

10. Take some Deep Breaths

This one is less exciting, but there are exercises you can do to help you refocus yourself to work on other stuff and destress from a hard test. Here are just a few to get you started!

There are, of course, plenty of other ways to destress, but these are just a few to start you off in order to have a more relaxed first semester midterm experience!

Lead Image Credit: Helloquence via Unsplash

Jade Miller - University of Rochester

Jade Miller is a sophomore at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and English Literature. She is a Junior Editor for the Fresh U national site. She is a member of the sorority Gamma Phi Beta and also a coxswain for UR Rowing. She loves dogs, reading, and having a single this year in her res hall. Follow her on Twitter @jade_miller_