Display lead photo freshu
by Jacqueline Waple

6 College Students Remember Positive Political Moments From 2016

By Jacqueline Waple - Dec 28 2016

Here we are — 2016 is almost over! We seem to have come to a consensus that the past 12 months were horrendous and not worth remembering, but that is not necessarily true. We have seen some great things this year, believe it or not, and we are moving forward in some ways. Let's set aside the less than happy moments and celebrate the good ones. Here at Fresh U, we have come up with six positive moments in politics to help you end the year on the right note.

Amelia Beamer, Syracuse University

"I have a personal favorite, which was getting to be on the campaign trail starting with NH primaries and to meet the candidates. Overall though, I loved being in Pantsuit Nation, and loved that my first times voting in my life (I've been old enough since I was a senior in high school during the 2008 election) were for our first black president, his re-election, and our first female presidential candidate. Historic. I honestly wanted Biden or Bloomberg to run, so lately the Biden memes and his potential interest in 2020 have given me life. I love that man, and I love his relationship with President Obama. Also: I loved Kaine's dad moves." 

Nancy Canevari, Smith College

"There are going to be 38 women of color serving in congress for the next term!"

Matt Gehring, Syracuse University

"The medal of freedom ceremony with Ellen." 

Amanda Morrison, Temple University

"Putting 'I voted' stickers on Susan B. Anthony's grave after voting for Hillary was awesome!"

Maya Ungar, University of Arkansas

"I'm already anticipating mine for 2017. My Hanukkah present is a plane ticket to D.C. — for the march on Washington protest after Trump's inauguration!" 

Prashanth Rajesh, UCLA

"The November election ushered in Pramila Jayapal, Kamala Harris and Tammy Duckworth, the first Indian-American women in the House, the first Indian-American senator and the first Thai-American senator respectively! Big step for diversity!" 

It's understandable that many of us want to end 2016 and never look back, but let's keep in mind how far we've come this year. We've seen some huge steps forward for diversity in politics, touching moments that restored our faith in humanity and we were given a few laughs along the way. There is much to remember, and much to look forward to. 2016, it's been real. 

Editor's Note: Quotes have been moderately edited for clarity.
Jacqueline Waple - University of North Carolina at Wilmington

Jacqueline is majoring in environmental science at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She loves traveling and being outdoors. Follow her on Instagram: @naturally.jackie