Display 15 things you didnt know about brave disney castle
by Jaclyn Imai

An Open Letter to the Disney Movies of My Childhood

By Jaclyn Imai - Jan 27 2016

Dear Disney Movies,

A lot of you were great. And some others...not so much. But you have helped me grow up so much, which is ironic since the magic of Peter Pan centers around a boy that can never grow up.

Thank you for letting me stay a kid in the weirdest ways. I still stick my tongue out at my friends even though I'm in college, and I still get in tickle fights with my boyfriend. I still wonder why Cinderella's spell had to end at midnight, or why Lilo's classmates thought she was weird when I thought she was awesome. I love looking at flowers and birds and little things that most adults just pass by as part of the monotony of every day. And I still love fireworks and shiny things.

To this day, I listen to "You'll Be in My Heart" from Tarzan and "I See the Light" from Tangled. Disney, your songs help me fall asleep at night, or in the case of "After Today" from The Goofy Movie get me pumped for the day enough to make my 8 AM classes bearable.

But some of you I don't particularly like. Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Cinderella, I hate to call you out because you're classics and I dressed like a Disney princess throughout the majority of my childhood. But you made me feel like a guy would sweep me off my feet and take me away on my stereotypical carriage and white horse without really doing a whole lot and just because I was pretty and in danger. Yes, it's important that whoever you decide to be friends with or date or whatever helps you if they can, but just because someone says hi to you doesn't mean they want to marry you. (It can, but it's not nearly as likely as you make it out to be.)

Mulan, I've saved a special section for you. You are one of my favorite characters for the reason that you're not a princess, but you've been added to that 'Hall of Fame' anyway. You can fight, but you're also intelligent. Shang does like you because you're pretty, but it's your strong will, physical strength, intelligence, and loyalty that he loves. Also, as an Asian person, thank you for pulling for us.

And finally, Lilo and Stitch. It's one of the movies I empathize with more now than I did as a kid. I loved the movie when I was a kid because Stitch was funny and there were spaceships and aliens. But now, I realize how relatable your plot was. We've all been the "Ugly Duckling" at one point, or we've all been Stitch alone in the rain, ears down in sorrow as he realizes he's lost and holding onto a frog because it's the only other lonely thing out there. It's nuances like this that make certain Disney movies classics and a favorite for adults and kids.

Disney movies, thank you for being a part of my childhood. Whether I liked you or not, you will always be in MY heart.

Lead Image Credit: blogs.disney.com

Jaclyn Imai - University of Southern California

Jaclyn Imai is a freshman Theatre Acting major from the University of Southern California with intended minors in communication and cinematic arts. She has has written comedic and dramatic pieces for theater in high school. She loves food, trying new things and traveling anywhere, even if that "anywhere" is just walking ten minutes to get more food. She hopes people enjoy her sassy writing, and that her serious writing makes people think.