Display sorry
by Jaclyn Imai

An Open Apology to My Parents

By Jaclyn Imai - Apr 14 2016

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm sorry for not spending enough time with you during spring break.

Mom, you said to me via text, "You're not going to be home a lot during break, but that's okay."

No, it's not. 

I decided to spend my break visiting my high school and spending time with my then-boyfriend. I could have spent more of that time with you, even if it was just something small like watching a movie together. Thank you for giving me the chance to grow as a person, especially at college, but I'm ready to devote more time to family as a new person.

I'm sorry I wasn't there when things got rough. 

I'm sorry for hurting you. College can be bittersweet; I left for college on your birthday Mom, and as an only child, that had to have been painful for you. And Dad, you gave me the option of eating breakfast with you the morning after you dropped me off. I said yes, but I wish we did more together leading up to that.

I'm sorry for never helping with the dishes or the laundry. As my suite's dish scenario is still a problem, and even doing my own laundry takes a lot more time than I ever thought it would have, I wish I helped you out more. Both of you did the laundry and dishes for me, and I'm incredibly grateful.

I'm sorry for antagonizing you. In my mind, I always took your tough love as negative pressure. But now on my own, I'm actually doing really well - academically and socially. I don't wholeheartedly agree with some of the things we have all said and done, but overall I'm better off for it. But at the time, mostly in high school, I didn't view you for the things you did for me, only for the things I didn't like. I'm sorry that I didn't see you fully as people.

I'm sorry for not telling you how I felt during high school and not making decisions because I was too afraid to commit. Even things as small as what I wanted for dinner became frustrating for us because I didn't have the courage or self-respect at the time to say what I was feeling like. This extends to how my social life was, too. I'm sorry that I couldn't be honest with you for so long.

I'm sorry that it took so long for me just to make this open letter that you may or may not see.

I'm sorry that it's been awhile since you've seen me, but I'll be home soon.

With love,

Lead Image Credit: John Field

Jaclyn Imai - University of Southern California

Jaclyn Imai is a freshman Theatre Acting major from the University of Southern California with intended minors in communication and cinematic arts. She has has written comedic and dramatic pieces for theater in high school. She loves food, trying new things and traveling anywhere, even if that "anywhere" is just walking ten minutes to get more food. She hopes people enjoy her sassy writing, and that her serious writing makes people think.