Display usc
by Jaclyn Imai

12 Go-To Spots Everyone Should Find On-Campus

By Jaclyn Imai - Mar 30 2016

We've all had that one day where we have had to study at the last minute. You go to a library, only to find that literally EVERYONE had the same idea as you or, after studying, when you desperately need coffee, you rush around campus only to find that all the coffee places are closed for the night. What will you do about these predicaments? Plan for every single scenario and have a place in mind. 

1. A Place to Study (That Isn't a Library)

Regardless of how large or small your campus is, there are always one or two or ten crowded libraries. It can be so loud and cramped that it doesn't really seem like a library at all. Private study rooms? Forget it--they're most likely booked. Instead, use a residence hall lounge or, if you can, an empty classroom to get your studying done for that midterm or final in peace.

giphy.com

2. A Place to Get Coffee

Bonus points if this place is right next to where you study. Whether it be a hole-in-the wall coffee shop, a Starbucks, or even a vending machine with canned coffee, it doesn't matter. When it's 3:00 A.M. and you're elbow-deep in notes and textbooks, you NEED caffeine. No more explanation needed.

giphy.com

3. A Place to Chill (With Your Friends)

This will require some knowledge of what your friends like to do. Any lawn with enough space can be used either as a place to talk and eat food, or play a quick Frisbee game. Also, you can go sightseeing with your friends to places that you haven't seen on-campus yet. This place to chill should be where you and your friends can talk as much as you want, but still create a buzz of excitement and give everyone something to look forward to.

tumblr.com

4. A Place to Chill (Without Your Friends)

Sometimes, you just need some alone time, and getting the bedroom or common room to yourself isn't an option. Instead of debating with your roommate who should get the room at that moment (for the billionth time), you can find a place on-campus that's quiet and at least gives you some sense of privacy--a secluded bench or table will do. There should also be a very minute chance that someone else will use your spot for their own, so scope out your options (007-style) ahead of time.

giphy.com

5. A Place to Treat Yo'Self

Explore your campus! Try and find one food item that you really like--as if your life depends on it. The place that has your favorite on-campus food is probably worth the trek it takes to get there and the price on its own, but going to this place is a great way to rev yourself up for the week or wind down after a long one.

giphy.com

6. A Place With a Great View

This may not be possible at campuses that don't have taller buildings, but chances are your campus has at least one place where you can look out from above. Whether you're looking out over a nice courtyard, or you can see the entire campus, a bird's eye view can change your perspective on a campus that you're familiar with already. Also, if it's high enough, this place can be great for nighttime photography of the moon, stars or city landscape.

giphy.com

7. A Place for Group Projects

Let's be honest: half of the battle of having a group meeting is deciding where to meet. Person A has class at one end of campus, which is the opposite side of campus of where Person B likes to study and Person C secretly (but not really) wants to have the meeting close to where they live so they can go home right after. So, try and find a place that's quiet but as close to the middle of campus as possible. That way, it's fair for everyone, and you can move on to discussing things that really matter...like why you didn't have this meeting earlier.

giphy.com

8. A Place That No One Knows About

You'll have to do a lot of exploring for this one, and you'll have to really look for it. It can be a building you never see anyone going into or a hidden courtyard. But you always ask people if they know what this place is, and the answer is pretty consistently, "I don't know," or, "where's that?" Just make sure that you're actually allowed to be there.

tumblr.com

9. A Place Where You Can Sleep (When Your Bedroom Isn't an Option)

For afternoon naps or when your roommate has a... guest (*coughs*) over, a back-up place to sleep is a comfort that is absolutely necessary. Ask to sleep on a friend's couch or, if it's in the afternoon, then get a hammock, find two trees and you can easily doze off. On the opposite end, be a friend and let someone you know crash over at your place if they can't get home safely at night.

giphy.com

10. A Place to Exercise (When You Feel Like It)

If your school has a gym, then this one is pretty easy. But let's say the gym is all the way across campus (ain't nobody got time for that) and it's always crowded with people who could probably flatten you with the weights they're lifting. When this happens, a little DIY-ing may be in order, some wise spending or (for the bravely committed) joining a club. Even running around your campus will work or finding an empty space to do yoga, especially when, sometimes, you just need to burn off steam.

giphy.com

11. A Place That You Can Show Your Relatives/Jealous Friends

Is there a building on-campus that is really nice, but you never go into and doesn't belong to your major or department? Perfect. Obligatory statue of your school's mascot that every tour group takes a picture by? Even better. Wherever it is, you need a place that you can brag about to your friends and wow your parents with--especially for parents, this place is reassurance to them that you're not wasting years of your life away. 

giphy.com

12. A Place You Can Call Your Home Away From Home

Chances are this is your bedroom, but wherever it is, find a place that you feel safe and secure and you can be surrounded by people that care about you. In those really long weeks where you can't stop and won't stop working, this place will let you know that whatever happens on your project or midterm, that you are 100% loved.

giphy.com

Lead Image Credit: Richard Ha

Jaclyn Imai - University of Southern California

Jaclyn Imai is a freshman Theatre Acting major from the University of Southern California with intended minors in communication and cinematic arts. She has has written comedic and dramatic pieces for theater in high school. She loves food, trying new things and traveling anywhere, even if that "anywhere" is just walking ten minutes to get more food. She hopes people enjoy her sassy writing, and that her serious writing makes people think.