by Izabella Louk

Congratulations Freshmen: We're Half-Way There

By Izabella Louk - Oct 25 2016
All too suddenly, half of our first semester at college is over. I don’t know about everyone else, but it’s really crept up on me. While I’ve been busy doing assignments, studying, joining clubs, making friends and all the new things that come with college, eight weeks has gone by and now we’re already halfway through our first semester of freshman year.

Its almost weird to think about before college started. Remember that? When we didn't know our roommate yet, and were scared of the heavy workload (still kind of scared to be honest)? Now this first half of semester has gone by so quickly, it makes me worry just how quickly the four years will go by. Will we all blink and suddenly be crossing the podium at graduation? I guess time flies when you're having fun.

To different degrees for different people, these first weeks have been hard. Going into a completely new environment, where you possibly know no one, and then throwing in a ton of work, professors with super high expectations and an unbending attendance policy, things are going to get tricky.

Personally, it felt like college was going to custard when I accidentally slept through a class (despite setting an alarm) in the second week. And I know others have had similar experiences; one friend lost their room key and couldn’t stop freaking out, and another forgot to do some homework, and thought the world was going to end…but all in all, we’ve risen back up.

There have been challenges, but there have been some great things too! As a class, we’ve managed to get work done, navigate the daunting dining hall, make friends and adapt to a new environment, many of us living away from home for the first time, which when you think about it, is huge!

So with this in mind, let’s congratulate ourselves. We’ve made it this far, and while it hasn’t been all smooth sailing, we’re doing something pretty amazing. So get on out there and enjoy the second half of semester! Congratulations to the Freshman class of 2020!

Lead Image Credit: Hoang Bin via Pexels

Izabella Louk - Drew University

Izabella is a freshman international student at Drew university in New Jersey, double majoring in Theatre and Asian Studies. When she's not busy insisting that New Jersey really is fantastic to her friends back home in Australia, she enjoys dancing, writing, baking, and cuddling her dog. You can follow her on instagram at _aliceinunicornland_