by Isabella Rose Prieto

How to Look Fashionable on A Budget

By Isabella Rose Prieto - Jul 03 2017

Everyone wants to look stylish and put together, but looking stylish and put together can be an expensive feat. From jeans to shirts to skirts to jackets, it all adds up! One t-shirt can be up to $50. These simple tips will satisfy your craving to look fashionable while not making a huge dent in your wallet. 

1. Check out your local thrift stores!

Before I became an avid Goodwill shopper, I thought thrift stores were weird stores that sold smelly clothes. To my surprise, Goodwill is now one of my favorite places to score some awesome finds. From college gear to button-downs to denim, thrift stores have an abundance of goodies for as low as 99 cents. I've found awesome sweaters and jean jackets for five dollars! Local thrift shops are the perfect first spots to look at when you're trying to find unique or even staple pieces. I've saved quite a few pennies due to my adventures at Goodwill. Although Goodwill is the most abundant thrift store in my area, it's not the only one out there. From Salvation Army to Savers to Value Village, there are an abundance of shops where you can find cheap, yet stylish clothing for a fraction of the price. The great thing about thrift shops like this is that all the money you spend is going back into charities and the community! 

2. Always check online first.

Often times we're browsing through Urban Outfitters, Forever 21 or one of the plethora of department stores. If you see something you like and want to purchase, check the website first! There have been a few times that I've found items in stores that are only discounted online. For example, when a nice pair of shorts caught my eye in Urban Outfitters, I bought them there and then for $30. When I arrived home, I checked the store's website to view the other colors of the shorts, and to my surprise, the shorts were 20% off online. After that, I learned a valuable lesson. Always check the website because in-store sales and online sales may not always match up. Also, don't forget about Amazon. Amazon often has really good dupes for items that are way too pricey. 

3. Search for promo codes!

I adore online shopping. I am always browsing and searching for the latest trends and styles. This can get kind of expensive if I continually buy clothing and accessories without even a little bit of a discount. Before I make a purchase I always search for promo codes for that store! Sometimes there are none, but other times I get lucky. It's also important to check if the store or brand offers a discount if you sign up for their newsletter. By just inputting your email, many stores offer up to 20% off your first order! 

4. Sell random clothing in your closet that you don't wear so that you can buy more!

If your closet is spilling over with forgotten and unworn clothes, clean it out! Become familiar with your closet and get rid of what you don't wear. Once you know what you have, you'll be able to put together pieces that look good together. You can come up with new and unique combinations. If you sell some of the pieces you don't wear, you'll also have a bit more spending money to get some new pieces to incorporate into your newly curated closet. 

5. Don't splurge on trendy items.

With every season comes new trends: new patterns, new prints, new styles. Instead of buying what you see on a runway or in an expensive department store, check Forever 21 or Zara (both have men's and women's sections!). There, you'll find the latest and trendiest pieces for a fraction of the price. As the season passes, the trends will most likely go out of style and your wallet will thank you for shopping the cheaper alternative. 

6. Be aware of the sales!

If you love a certain store or brand, stay on top of when they have major sales. Receive email notifications and follow all of their social media accounts so you can stay informed. Often times, brands will post about upcoming sales way ahead of time. If you stay updated on their Instagram, you'll be able to mark your calendar in advance!

Staying fashionable without breaking the bank is difficult, but these simple tips can help you save hundreds easily!

Isabella Rose Prieto - New York University