Display parks and rec two thumbs up
by Isabella Barricklow

9 Pieces of Advice for Surviving Finals Week from Parks and Rec

By Isabella Barricklow - Dec 10 2015

We've all heard about the stress and terror of finals week before we were even enrolled in classes, and now our very first one is already upon us.  Take advice from the experts of Parks and Rec as they show you how to survive this dreadful week (and maybe watch a few episodes to keep yourself smiling too)!

1. Stay healthy!

NBC
NBC

Flu season is rapidly approaching and finals week is the worst time you want to get sick.  Imagine trying to take your Calculus exam amid a desk full of tissues and cough drops.  You ultimately want your mind to be as clear as possible while you study and take your exams, so make sure you wash your hands, wear a coat if it's cold out, and eat healthy foods with lots of vitamins.

2. Exercise

NBC
NBC

Not only does exercise release endorphins that make you feel happier and could relieve a lot of the stress you're feeling, it also gives you a chance to take a break from your work and clear your mind with fresh air.  When your body senses a threat (such as that looming 12 page English paper), it releases a stress hormone which makes your body hungry and prepares to store the food you eat as fat.  Getting up and exercising will burn off that fat and keep you healthier when you sit back down to study again.

3. Get lots of sleep

NBC

Don't deprive yourself of sleep! If you have to make the choice between studying for an extra hour or going to sleep at a reasonable hour, choose sleep.  Your brain needs a full night of rest to retain the information you study and keep it in your memory.  If you skimp on sleep during this week you won't be able to remember all of those equations or formulas when you need them most.

4. Think positive

NBC

It's easy to convince ourselves that we're going to fail that huge test at the beginning of the week when we're stressed.  However, the more positively you think and the more you believe in your success, the more likely you are to be confident taking the test and keep focused on the material instead of panicking and forgetting everything you studied.

5.  Inspire yourself

NBC
NBC

Remind yourself that you have already accomplished so much in high school and in the first semester of college.   You are totally capable of handling this week because you are awesome!  

6. Let your friends help you

NBC

Sometimes your roommates and friends can recognize when you need a break or when you need help even better than you can.  Let them help you if they can, and tell them that you need their support when you're stressed.  Even taking a quick trip with them for fro-yo or hearing them tell you "you can do this" can be your motivation to keep going strong.

7. Get back up

NBC

You're allowed to have mental breakdowns during finals week.  Everyone has moments when they feel like nothing will work out.  That's okay, as long as you pick yourself back up after a little bit.  Don't wallow forever, get yourself motivated again and ready to ace your exams.  

8. Treat yourself

NBC

You've worked hard, so you deserve a treat.  After your exams let yourself buy something new to wear or use.  Get yourself a cupcake after a long study session.  Reward yourself for every chapter you get through with a small treat or a short Netflix break.  Keep your mind healthy by relieving yourself from all the hard work every once in a while, and still bringing some fun into your life.  

9. Remember what's important

NBC 

This week seems like the end of the world, and you may feel that if you get a bad grade it feels like you're never going to graduate or become successful in life.  Just remember that grades and this week are not the most important part of life.  As long as you have your friends, your family, your health, and happiness, you are doing great.  Don't worry about just one week, remember that your life is still full and going to be successful even if this week doesn't go perfectly.  Be happy with what you have, and remember that after it's all done you get a few weeks at home with good food and friends, the ultimate reward.

Lead Image Credit:  NBC

Isabella Barricklow - Central Michigan University

Isabella Barricklow is a freshman at Central Michigan University majoring in English (non-teaching) and minoring in Spanish and Childhood Development. At her high school, she was a captain of the swim team and wrote for the school paper. You'll usually find Bella writing poetry, spending time with friends, or hiking. Follow her on Twitter @BellaRose221!