Display hr frozen 11
by Isabella Barricklow

8 Essentials to Help you Survive a Northern Winter

By Isabella Barricklow - Oct 02 2015

If you’ve never spent a winter in the North (or even if you have), the heavy winter blizzards always start early in the year and end later than you might want. While you’re at college, make the season as comfortable as possible by keeping in mind a few of these essential.

1. A down coat

20th Century Fox Television and Bay Thomas Productions

Even on larger campuses with bus services, you’re going to be walking or waiting in the cold for long periods of time. This is a bit of a no-brainer, but if possible, you should splurge and invest in a really good coat. You’ll definitely get your money’s worth.

2. A gym membership

MGM and Marc Platt Productions
MGM and Marc Platt Productions

The month of January is when the winter blues hits. Getting into a rhythm of going to the gym will get you out when you’re tempted to hide under mountains of blankets, and luckily most campuses have fitness centers or gyms for students to use. You’ll be much happier in the gloomy winter days because of the endorphins released while exercising. As an added benefit, you’ll be really in shape for spring break!

3. Lots of hot chocolate

Isabella Barricklow

A warm cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows is a great reward for trudging through the snow and going to class. If you keep some stocked up in your room, you won’t even have to leave your blanket and fuzzy socks to get a cup!

4. A list of fun winter activities

New Line Cinema

By now you’ve realized that college and all of its work keeps you more than busy. But in the free time that you do have, take advantage of all the exciting possibilities that winter brings. Build a snowman with your roommates, grab a carrot nose from the dining hall. Have a snowball fight with people from the room down the hall. Go ice skating for a Sunday date. The options are endless when the snow starts to fall!

5. Christmas lights

20th Century Fox Television

Many people have probably already strung up fairy lights in their rooms to combat the harsh fluorescent lighting. If you haven’t, they make winter a lot more fun and make your room feel even more cozy. If you’ve only got a couple up, add more! You can never have too much festivity in the room.

6. Winter appropriate clothing

Lloyd-Levitan Productions and 20th Century Fox Television 

This includes, but is not limited to fuzzy socks, warm slippers, scarves, mittens, hats, boots, and ugly Christmas sweaters. Who says weather appropriate can’t also be cute?

7. Tickets to hockey games

Deedle-Dee productions, NBC Universal Television, and Universal Television

In the North, all the snow and ice is put to good use. There are outdoor hockey rinks everywhere and when hockey season starts in December, you’ll want to be ready. Grab a scarf in your school’s colors and go cheer on your team!

8. A good attitude

Walt Disney

Even if you hate winter, you can still make it bearable. There are a lot of fun traditions that happen in the North from December to February that can make the blizzard-like weather an adventure. Before you know it, it will be spring and you won’t get to catch snowflakes on your tongue or go sledding, so try to enjoy it while it lasts.

Lead Image Credit: Walt Disney Productions

Isabella Barricklow - Central Michigan University

Isabella Barricklow is a freshman at Central Michigan University majoring in English (non-teaching) and minoring in Spanish and Childhood Development. At her high school, she was a captain of the swim team and wrote for the school paper. You'll usually find Bella writing poetry, spending time with friends, or hiking. Follow her on Twitter @BellaRose221!