Display 130327 cbox minimalistcraze.jpg.crop.article568 large
by Isabell Gerbig

A Beginner’s Guide to Minimalism

By Isabell Gerbig - Jul 31 2015

The benefits of minimalism are endless. You save money while avoiding the task of having to clean up all your junk.

1. Don’t bring heaps of stuff.

College is the best chance to start being minimalist. You don’t have to throw away all your belongings; you just have to leave them behind at your parents’ house! This makes it a lot easier to deal with the struggle of not wanting to throw away some sentimental junk that you know you will never need. What you can do is simply limit yourself to one or two suitcases of stuff, which helps you cut down on the over-packing (which you will inevitably do).

2. Don’t buy heaps of stuff.

Let’s face it, your dorm room is tiny. Do you really want it to be filled to the brim with junk? It’ll definitely be easier to buy things now that you don’t constantly need to ask your parents for their permission, but just remember that if you don’t buy that $150 lava lamp you will realize you don’t actually need it all that much anyway.

3. Pay attention to what you actually need and use.

It’s hard not to bring everything you own to college. It really is. If you are thinking about bringing 28 pairs of shoes to college, stop it now. You are never going to wear all 28 pairs of shoes at college. Chances are you’ll probably wear 3 pairs maximum. Everyone is a hoarder for something so just figure out what it is and try to cut down to what you actually can’t survive without.

4. If you want to buy something “excessive” (like a camera), think about it for at least two weeks.

This is a useful trick for cutting down on all those impulse buys. If you really want to buy something, ask a friend to help prevent you from buying it until you have thought about it for two weeks at least. Sometimes we buy things we don’t need just because we happen to see one in a store. Before you buy it, think about how different your life will be after buying it. Will it be any different? If the answer is no, don’t buy it.

5. Finish using up your products before buying new ones.

Girls always have 10 bottles of half-used shampoo or conditioner lying around. Why not use these up and save yourself from spending more unnecessary money? It does the job and you don’t need to waste the space to store up so many shampoo bottles or whatever else you may be hoarding.

6. Stick to block colored clothing.

Plain colors (usually black and white) are the easiest to pair. Think about it. If everything in your wardrobe matches everything else, you wouldn’t need as many clothes! Plus, you could totally wear the same white tee for four days straight and I doubt anyone will notice. Not as much laundry, too!

Lead Image Credit: Slate

Isabell Gerbig - Bryn Mawr College

Isabell Gerbig is a freshman at Bryn Mawr College, planning to major in Comparative Literature. She’s a Third Culture Kid and started learning her fourth and fifth language in high school. As a former swimmer, she empathizes with everyone who still has to endure morning practices. Instagram: isabellringingg.