Display tumblr nkrs6qas6d1r9cmxfo1 1280
by Isabell Gerbig

15 Ways to Avoid the Freshman 15

By Isabell Gerbig - May 31 2015

1. Join a workout class.

Imgur

Not only will you be more likely to stick to a schedule, you’ll also meet other healthy, awesome people to work out with! Workout buddies for life.

2. #CleanEats all the way 

Tumblr

Learn to love veggies. Try to follow the “five-a-day” rule and eat at least five portions of fresh produce a day. You gotta learn to love broccoli if you want to stay fit! If you can’t eat five a day, try to at least incorporate some vegetables into each meal.

3. No more sugar

cdn.sheknows.com

Try to cut back on your sugar addiction (we all have one). The first few weeks will be tough, but it’s way healthier and even people at Buzzfeed claim it makes you feel so much better!

4. Learn to love running.

Tumblr

Running is the fastest way to burn calories. It is by no means the only way (You should still workout and build muscle!), but if you’re in a time crunch, this is the way to go. It will be painful and you will wheeze the first few weeks. But, as with anything, it will get better!

5. Snack! 

reactiongifs.com

This is probably the easiest option on the list. Snacking throughout the day can keep your metabolism running and make you less inclined to binge during meals. Of course, snack on healthy foods! A banana, a granola bar or simply some juice can be great!

6. Go online and look at motivational pictures.

Tumblr

Come on, we all do it. Looking at motivational pictures or even pictures of other people who have experienced the Freshman 15 will make you want to eat salad for the rest of your life.

7. Download the Nike Training Club app.

Nike

You can work out in dorm room! This app is amazing because it offers workouts that last from 15 minutes to more than 45 minutes. You can customize your workout or choose one that a pro made. Pair it with some of your favorite jams and it’ll make you sweat like a hog!

8. Ditch the sodas!

Reddit

Find a compromise. If you ditch the sodas, you can feel less guilty about the donut you ate for breakfast. It’s not ideal, but you can’t have everything when you’re trying to watch your weight.

9. Eat breakfast!  

proofpoint.com

You know how at home you were always nagged to eat breakfast? Turns out your mom was right. Eating a healthy breakfast can make you motivated to eat healthier for the rest of the day. It will make your fuller and more energized to make better choices throughout the day.

10. Tea and black coffee = your new BFFs 

Tumblr

Drink your morning coffee black to skip the empty calories. If you don’t like coffee, opt for some green or black tea to speed up your metabolism and hydrate your body!

11. Don’t eat your feelings away.

TLC

The transition to college is a stressful time. Don’t cope with your stress by eating a whole bag of chips by yourself. Find other outlets to de-stress, like meditation, a punching bag or even just walking outside.

12. Get your beauty rest. 

survivingcollege.com

Don’t pull all-nighters every week. Not only will you be tired for class, you will be more inclined to reach for that chocolate bar, too!

13. Eat half. 

Disney

You’ll probably go out a lot with your new friends. When you go to a restaurant, just keep in mind that the portions will be HUGE. Eat half, and bring the other half home in a doggy bag. Not only will you thank yourself when you’re up at 3 a.m. studying and you want something to eat, you’ll also save yourself some extra calories AND save money. Triple win!

14. Chew a LOT!

gifbin

Chewing a lot will make you slow down and avoid stuffing your face, only to regret it later when you enter the food coma. Chewing also allows your saliva to break down those carbs and make them taste sweeter! So take your time and grind up that food!

15. Avoid social calories.

Happiness and Cyanide

You’re going to go to parties. There will be party food at these parties. There will probably be alcohol as well. These are all calories that you don’t need. First of all, you don’t know what kind of germs are in those massive, public bowls of chips. Second of all, you don’t need to eat all those chips to have a good time. Skip the snacks and try to spend your time actually socializing instead!

Lead Image Credit: Tumblr

Isabell Gerbig - Bryn Mawr College

Isabell Gerbig is a freshman at Bryn Mawr College, planning to major in Comparative Literature. She’s a Third Culture Kid and started learning her fourth and fifth language in high school. As a former swimmer, she empathizes with everyone who still has to endure morning practices. Instagram: isabellringingg.