Display luis llerena 14778
by Hugmaelle Jean

10 Productive Things to Do This Summer

By Hugmaelle Jean - Apr 09 2017

Believe it or not, summer is around the corner! It's a good time to start thinking about how to make the most of this time. Summer should be used as a time for relaxation, but it can also be a great time for productivity because there isn't as much pressure as there is during school. Here are some productive things to do over the summer. 

1. Work.

This is the most basic of all steps, but it's necessary. If you haven't already, find a job to work at for the summer. If you are having a hard time finding a job online, walk into your local stores and simply ask. You never know who may need workers for the summer. This may not sound interesting, but you'll be able to have more work experience for your resume and make and save money. It's also good to have your own money so you won't feel bad asking your parents for money. 

2. Volunteer.

Since you may have free time this summer, why not volunteer? There are a lot of places that need people to help them out during the summer. It's nice to do something good for others. It's also a great way to meet new people and make new friends.

3. Find an internship.

Ah, there's nothing like the constant reminder to find an internship. It's easy to get tired hearing this, but this is very important. Try finding an internship that you can see yourself doing in the long term or at least want to try. Not only does this put you in a profession that you want to be in, it also gets you accustomed to the environment around you. This is also another great thing to help build your resume.  

4. Rearrange your room.

Sometimes we need a change. If you are going to stay in your room for most of the summer, you might as well change it up! Look up some ideas on YouTube and Pinterest. Giving your room a new look can make it feel less boring and dull.

5. Pick up forgotten projects. 

There are times we just forget the personal plans, projects and goals we create for ourselves, especially during our first year of college. Get started again this summer and be more consistent with the work and effort you give to these projects. Also, since you already know what your schedule will be for next fall, set aside a decent amount of time for at least one project every day. If not every day, set aside a few times a week. 

6. Create a workout plan/eat healthier. 

Some of us have thought about wanting to be fit and healthy, but how many of us follow through? Instead, get a head start on working out and eating healthy this summer! This is also a great time to think about how you plan on eating better on campus (or in general) if you didn't accomplish what you wanted to this semester. Maybe you can reflect on what worked and what didn't. That way you can figure out how to make positive changes in your eating habits. Getting started in the summer helps you form the habit and will hopefully make you continue when school starts back again.

7. Throw some things away. 

This idea came about as I was sitting in my English class. My professor was discussing how we as people just have so much stuff and cling on to things that we may not even need now or in the future. This is very true. As hard as this may be, get rid of some things that you know you don't need. That could be anything, such as old clothes, books, shoes, etc. Do not just throw those things out but donate to those who may need them. After forcing yourself to toss items, you should feel a lot better! It can help you feel less cluttered and give you more room for new things. 

8. Learn how to cook. 

Why not learn how to cook? That is, unless you want to continue eating the same dining hall food or continuously spend your money to eat out. The dining hall food can get annoying and eating out can be quite expensive. Learning how to cook over the summer will help you learn how to feed yourself when your parents aren't there or can't send you food. It's just a good skill to have in general. Make it fun and create your own recipes after you get the basics. Cook with friends to make it even more interesting.

9. Read. 

There's nothing like a good book! Summer is the time you can read books that aren't for class. Read what you like and take advantage of the time you have. Reading helps you learn words that you never used or heard of before and helps stretch your imagination and creativity. Reading is also a very calming and relaxing activity. You don't even have to read at home — take your book with you on vacation, to the beach, etc. 

10. Help your parents around the house. 

Ask your parents if they need help with completing tasks around the house. Maybe they need help mowing the lawn or cleaning up the living room. Either way, it's always good to do something nice for your parents. It's good to surprise them too and just do what you know they would want to have done. It shows that you care, and a clean house is a happy house. 

Generally, all these activities can help make you productive this summer. They will help you keep a good work ethic and will keep you from being lazy. This is not to say summer can't be fun: still enjoy your summer, but work towards some things as well to make you and others around you better. You won't regret it! 

Lead Image Credit: Luis Llerena via Unsplash 

Hugmaelle Jean - Emmanuel College

Hugmaelle Jean is a freshman at Emmanuel College. She is majoring in Communication & Media Studies and aspires to be a positive face in the media and news networks. On her free time she likes watching YouTube, writing stories and taking photos. She is hoping to study abroad and learn about different cultures.