Display 22jumpstreet
by Heran Mamo

7 Lies Every Movie About College Tells You

By Heran Mamo - Jul 14 2015

1. Your roommate is a psycho serial killer.

Screen Gems and Vertigo Entertainment

"The Roommate" with Minka Kelly and Leighton Meester made you afraid of sleeping with the fishes and not your actual roomie. But establishing essential ground rules and not intruding into the other person's space will give you peace at mind. If you were to ever room with Leighton, you would hope for more Blair Waldorf than Becky Evans.

2. Your status in college is defined by how great you sing in an A cappella group.

After seeing "Pitch Perfect," the Barden Bellas seemed like the perfect extracurricular to join...until you got caught belting Fifth Harmony's "Worth It" in the communal bathroom. A sixth harmony is probably not where they were headed, but everyone's trying to find their own passion in college. Check out some clubs that your university has to offer and pick the ones that most interest you. Whether it's an A cappella group or Greek life, there's a group on campus waiting for you to join.

3. Your attractiveness is ranked on a university website.

Morgan Creek Productions, SW7D Productions and Clifford Werber Productions

Once upon a time in the movie "Sydney White," Sydney went to college where she met Rachel Witchburn, the fairest Kappa of them all — as far as the Internet told her. Well, if the Internet said that I was the fairest Kappa, then I would probably believe it, too. College isn't a "hot or not" competition; it's where people's assets are further enhanced for their careers. There's more substance to people in college than just looks — we're not in high school anymore.

4. You can make up your own college because you didn't get accepted elsewhere.

Being denied from colleges suck, whether it's your dream school or even one of your safeties. That kind of rejection feels personal, but creating your own college like in the movie "Accepted" can't get you far in life because, let's face it, fake bachelor degrees aren't as easily to handle as fake IDs. Yes, those rejection letters and emails can make you feel like you're not good enough, but you're definitely "worth it." There is a place for everyone, whether it's the classroom, workforce, a different country or auditions for that sixth harmony. Your future is more valuable than you make it out to be so don't give up on it or yourself.

5. Your major is about chasing your dream guy.

Elle Woods could certainly woo the boys with her "bend and snap" routine from "Legally Blonde," but accentuating her physique wasn't the only trick up her pink sleeve. Dominating her LSATs and winning a case sparked her true passion for law, something that was initially fueled by her desire to win her ex back. With majors from architecture to business to gerontology, you can limit your passions to one or two specific fields of study. But whatever you decide to strive for, do it to make yourself happy because at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

6. You have to constantly weed out normal students from drug dealers.

Columbia Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) and LStar Capital

As much as we love sequels, "22 Jump Street" with Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill taught us that "Work Hard, Yes, Play Hard, Yes" was not only the latest synthetic drug, but a motto to live by. Mixing police work with college lectures is more than what the average student can handle so save it for Hollywood. However, the impending presence of drugs on college campuses is no laughing matter. Take a hit of whatever is going around and your folder might just be the one slapped on Ice Cube's desk.

7. You have to join a sorority or fraternity to be cool.

Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios

Carrying on a household name like Sulley or fulfilling a lifelong dream like Mike Wazowski in "Monsters University" makes the college journey more worthwhile. Whether it's pursuing an intended career or pledging into the right sorority or fraternity, putting your name out there can mean getting in with a certain crowd. Greek life is philanthropic and fun, but consumes a lot of your time and money so think about it before getting sucked into rush week. Being yourself in college is what gets you past the stage with a degree in hand, not rocking a Roar Omega Roar letterman.

Lead Image Credit: Columbia Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) and LStar Capital

Heran Mamo - University of Southern California

Heran Mamo is a freshman at the University of Southern California majoring in print and digital journalism. In high school, she was a features writer for her school newspaper and occasionally was featured in the school literary magazine. She likes running, shopping and anything on the dessert menu. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @heranmamo!