We all have those moments where we just want to escape the world around us and focus on yourself. Occasionally bad days sneak up on us and try to overshadow our good days. Sometimes people try to bombard us with negativity. I know I’m not the only one who uses music to escape these instances, so here are a few songs to help you in those moments and my reasonings on why they are good pick-me-up songs. 

1. Scars to Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara

“But there’s a hope that’s waiting for you in the dark.”  Alessia uses this song to remind us that we don't have to fit society's standards and that we may have physical scars but there are no scars to our beautiful.

2. Masterpiece by Jazmine Sullivan

“And I finally see I’m a work of art, a masterpiece.” Through this song, Jazmine Sullivan encourages me to step out of my comfort zone, to develop a different perception of myself and to stop consuming lies that I am not beautiful or good enough.

3. Smile by Tedashii

“You know you deserve to smile.”  We all have bad days where we think we don't deserve anything good; Tedashii reminds us that even on our bad days we deserve to smile. 

4. Like Me by Jake Miller

“There is no one like me” When we begin to change who we are to fit into a certain crowd or standard, we have to remember that there is no one quite like you. You are unique. Jake Miller encourages us to embrace our uniqueness. 

5. Crooked Smile by J. Cole

“We ain’t picture perfect, but we worth the picture still.” Let's face it: we all have flaws. However, J.Cole lets us know that our flaws make us. We should not condemn our flaws, but instead embrace every one of them. Wear your crooked smile with pride. 

6. I’ll Keep On by NF

“Oh this soul is tired, but I’ll keep on.” It is human for us to feel like giving up especially when the going gets tough, but NF encourages us to keep on in the midst of adversity. 

7. 65th and Ingleside by Chance the Rapper

“There’s a way out of no way, Swear I know everything’s gonna be okay.”  Even when the journey gets bumpy and the road seems unclear, Chance inspires us by saying that there is a way out of no way. It also has a nice beat making it perfect for our rough days. 

8. Work of Art by Britt Nicole

“You were made for greatness, beautifully created.” Much like Scars to Your Beautiful and Masterpiece, Work of Art by Britt Nicole reminds listeners of their worth. It's encouraging and catchy. 

9. In My Blood by Shawn Mendes

“Sometimes I feel like giving up, but I just can’t. It isn’t in my blood.” We have to remember to not let our feelings get the best of us because there is so much more potential and strength within us; Shawn Mendes perfectly explains what's like to go through rough days but still choose to keep moving on. 

10. You Say by Lauren Daigle

"You say I am strong when I think I am weak." Lauren Daigle cautions us not to allow our negative words overshadow God's calling on our life. The lyrics of this song and the manner in which Daigle sings them makes this song a great choice for anyone who forgot just how loved and strong they are. 

Bonus songs that aren't necessarily pure inspiration, but altogether joyous and will put a smile on your face are:

11. Best Life by Cardi B ft. Chance the Rapper

“You made for this.” The beat. The chorus. The lyricism of this song will just have you smiling the whole day reminding you that tough times come but you'll be living your best life because of it. 

12. Pineapple Skies by Miguel

“Promise everything gon’ be alright.” This song is more on the romantic side, but the soul in Miguel's voice makes it worth the listen on a tough day. 

13. Naked by Ella Mai

“Are you that somebody, who sees a wall and breaks it.” Another song that is on the romantic side. However, Ella Mai challenges us to find someone who loves us for us and not for what we wear or anything else. Her voice and lyricism are the keys to this amazing song. 

These are the songs I run to when I’m in distress and not feeling up to par. I hope these songs will pick you up when you’re in the valley and will encourage you to keep going when you’re at the top of the hill. Remember that tough times don’t last, but tough people do. Keep striving. 

Supporting Image Credits: Unsplash