Display rawpixel com 247282
by Hannah Valdez

12 Easy DIY Projects to Make Your Dorm Room Stand Out

By Hannah Valdez - Aug 08 2017

Moving into a college dorm or apartment can be exciting, but you often have limited options when it comes to decorating your room. Here are a few projects that are super simple (and will make all of your neighbors wish they had a space as cool as yours!)

1. DIY Desk Organizer

The Lovely Drawer

This trendy take on desk storage will bring a modern feel to your study area. You can even add a pop of color to make it match your style. Get the instructions here.

2. DIY Pom Pom Rug 

SimplyNesting on Etsy

All you need for this one are pom poms (you can use whatever colors of yarn you want or buy them pre-made) and a non-slip rug liner! Check out the tutorial at The Whoot.

3. Tassel Garland

BlushBazaar on Etsy

Are your walls unbearably dull? Try this tassel garland from Pennies For A Fortune! Try using your school colors or match it to your dorm color scheme. Here's a link to the tutorial.

4. Ice Dye Tapestry

Jojtastic

Ice Dye is one of the newest decorating trends, so why not incorporate it into your living space? Just get a sheet of white fabric and give it a try! Click the link for the instructions

5. DIY Letterboard

Treasures and Travels

Looking for a fresh and unique way to decorate your room? This simple letterboard is super cute and easy to make! Here's the instructions from Treasures and Travels.

6. Pineapple Lamp

Craft Foxes

Want more of a tropical, fun vibe in your room? This pineapple lamp shade DIY uses spoons and a little bit of glue. Get the step-by-step tutorial here.

7. DIY Headboard

The Old Post Road

Do you have ability to decorate the area above your bed? Get the look of a headboard with this The Old Post Road DIY without having to break the bank.

8. Photo Frame

My :Little Artichoke

Want a way to display all of your photos from home and college? Or maybe you want to show off your photos from summer vacation? Try this DIY from an old photo frame! If you want to, you can even use it to hold sunglasses, cards, and anything else you need to display! Here are the instructions.

9. Sports Game Chalkboard

Paisley and Pearls

Keep track of all of the upcoming sports games at your college with this fun chalkboard! Simply use a chalkboard and some chalkboard pens or chalk for this one! Here's a photo to give you an idea of what it should look like.

10. Floral Garland String Lights

Homey Oh My

My dorm has a boho vibe this year, and here is a tutorial that I'm using in my room. I love the natural look because its minimalist, but still pretty! Here's this idea from Homey Oh My.

11. DIY Letter Art

Pure Joy Home

Add a personal touch to your area with this two-toned letter art! If you can't find gold foil, you can always use gold spray paint! You can find the instructions here.

12. Shadowbox

Craft Redux

Are you a concert lover? Have a passion for movies? Or maybe you have sports ticket stubs that are just taking up space? Use a shadowbox to display all of the events that you've attended! You can use a fresh coat of paint on the frame and add decorations if you want a pop of color. I keep all of my stubs in a shadowbox and I get compliments on it pretty often! Find the tutorial here.

Now, it's time to get crafty! Have a great start to your semester!

Lead Image credit: rawpixel.com on Unsplash

Hannah Valdez - Florida State University

Voice Performance Major at Florida State University