Display valentino funghi 146040
by Hannah Valdez

10 Things To Bring To College If You're A Music Major

By Hannah Valdez - Sep 02 2017

If you're a music major, you may be wondering what kinds of extra supplies you need to bring with you to college. Here are ten things that you should have going into the fall to guarantee a great start.

1. Noligraph Pen

Twitter

The days of sketching every single line on the staff in class are over! This super cool pen from Amazon lets you draw all five at once, saving you lots of time in your theory classes. Pick one up here.

2. Cough Drops

Walgreens

As a vocal or theater student, you know the struggle of long practice hours and trying to save your voice. I always carry around a few in my bag when I'm in practice rooms and at competitions. I recommend Ricola Cough Drops, but be sure that whichever ones you pick do not have mint, because it can cause your vocal chords to become dry.

3. Coffee/Tea

Dan Gold on Unsplash

No one loves 8 a.m. rehearsals and classes. Make sure to bring your favorite coffee or tea to make in the morning or whenever you need a little energy boost!

4. Water Bottle

Matt Hoffman on Unsplash

One of the most important things to remember as a music major is that hydration is key (cheesy, I know!). Find yourself a good bottle and use it ALL THE TIME.

5. IMSLP

IMSLP

So this isn't something that you can physically bring with you to college, but it's a fantastic resource! IMSLP is a collection of sheet music under free domain, so it won't cost you a thing. You can get to the website by following this link.

6. Tonal Energy App

Google Play

Whether you are an instrumentalist or a vocalist, Tonal Energy is a great tuner to use on the go. It is available for Apple and Android phones on the app store. 

7. Staff Paper

Dayne Topkin on Unsplash

If you can't get your hands on the noligraph pen, staff paper is an alternative! It's fairly inexpensive, and can be found on Amazon or at most music stores.

8. Pencils

Michal Grosicki on Unsplash

This may seem like an obvious one, but you never want to be THAT person without a pencil in rehearsal. Most professors also prefer that you use pencils in your music classes as well.

9. Folder

David Beale on Unsplash

This is useful especially if you are in an ensemble, because you will need a black folder anyway as your concert day approaches. I use mine to keep all sheet music together, along with my syllabus and homework.

10. Your Rep Book

Mariya Georgieva on Unsplash

Bringing your book of repertoire can save your life when it comes to audition season, or even if you want to have an extra copy if your library doesn't have the books you need.

I hope you have a great semester, successful auditions, and an amazing time at your university!

Lead Image Credit: Valentino Funghi on Unsplash

Hannah Valdez - Florida State University

Voice Performance Major at Florida State University