by Hannah Belle Hurt

Understanding Bulletproof Coffee and Its Benefits

By Hannah Belle Hurt - May 11 2017

Bulletproof coffee is one of the latest health trends, but many recoil at the thought of adding butter to their cup of coffee. The creator of the small company Bulletproof Coffee and the popularizer of the drink itself, Dave Asprey, claims the high-fat drink can lead to weight loss, help mental clarity and boost energy. The drink calls for low-mold coffee beans, at least two tablespoons of unsalted butter and one to two tablespoons of medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. MCT oil is found in coconut oil and is a fatty acid used to provide direct energy to the body. 

It is highly recommended that the butter be grass-fed, which is higher in Omega 3s and essential vitamins. Butter from grain-fed animals has a different fat composition and lacks fat soluble vitamins. Between the butter and the oil, bulletproof coffee is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids that the body needs. The drink is popular among those of the ketogenic diet, a low-carb, high-fat diet that is meant for the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.

It is recommended that you replace your normal breakfast/coffee if you do plan on drinking this due to its hefty dose of fats first thing in the morning. This has led to a bit of conflict as some say it takes away the essential nutrients that a typical breakfast involves, so it's best to experiment and listen to what your body wants and to be conscious of the amount of fat you are consuming — any dietary change is something to approach with caution. At the end of the day, it may work for you or it may not. Even though they are healthy, fats are still fats. 

4 Steps to Make Bulletproof Coffee

1. Make coffee.

Brew 1-2 cups of hot coffee as you normally would. Everything needed for Bulletproof coffee can be found on their website but if you're sticking to that college budget, you can easily make your own. 

2. Blend.

Add the brewed coffee, butter and oil. You will need at least 1-2 Tbs. of unsalted grass-fed butter or grass-fed ghee and 1-2 Tbs. of MCT oil. Blend all the ingredients together for 20-30 seconds until frothy and there is a layer of foam on top. 

3. Add something extra (optional). 

If you like things on the sweeter side, add Stevia, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg or pumpkin spice.

4. Enjoy.

It's simple and can be made in a dorm room. The drink does not require much more time than making your average daily cup, so you won't have to worry about being late to class. 

Coffee is an essential for every college student. With the addition of brain power to our already beloved caffeine, bulletproof coffee is an advantageous way to upgrade your cup of Joe, step up your game in class, and kill the 8 am sluggishness. The added mental clarity and energy boost of Bulletproof Coffee an help get you though your procrastinated paper that is due tomorrow, all-nighters, and final exams.

Lead Image Credit: Natalie Collins via Unsplash

Hannah Belle Hurt - Butler University

Hannah is an Environmental Studies major at Butler University in Indianapolis, IN. She is a lover of caffeine, Food Documentaries, and foliage. She is from Nashville, Tennessee and began writing for FreshU in May of 2016. Follow her on Instagram @hannahbelle97 and twitter @hanabelle97.