Display artificial photography 119298
by Hannah Belle Hurt

15 Charitable Organizations That Give Back to the World

By Hannah Belle Hurt - Apr 06 2017

What if we told you that you could contribute to the greater good just by shopping? Ever since the popularity of Tom's One for One campaign, shopping for the good of others has become easier and more popular. There are thousands of social enterprises and non-profits willing to help you. Below are 15 organizations that help contribute to the lives of others.

1. Sseko

ssekodesigns.com

Sseko Designs is a fashion brand based in Uganda that sells beautiful handbags, accessories and leather sandals that enable talented young women to continue on to university. Women in East Africa are now provided an opportunity to end the cycle of poverty and create a more equitable society.

2. Sevenly

sevenly.org

Sevenly activates 7-Day Campaigns and curates ongoing, cause-themed Collections to change lives by raising funding, bringing awareness and followers for some of the world’s greatest causes. They invite customers to purchase “advocacy art, apparel and accessories” that donate to non-profits. Seven percent7 of all profits go to The Sevenly Foundation, which in turn sends 100 percent of that amount to their non-profit partners.

3. The Giving Key

thegivingkeys.com

Every purchase from The Giving Key supports job creation for individuals transitioning out of homelessness and places them on career paths, handing them the keys to unlock their fullest potential. To date, The Giving Key has provided 70+ job opportunities to people breaking cycles of generational poverty and homelessness.

4. Elepants

thaielepants.com

A portion of all profits from Elepants goes to the Save Elephant Foundation, a non-profit that helps Thailand’s Elephants. The non-profit also educates both local Thais and many international travelers on subjects such as Asian Elephants, the local ecosystem and how to conserve and protect the current Elephant populations. Elepants has donated over $10,000 to the Save Elephant Foundation and provides fair wages and a comfortable working environment for local Thai women. 

5. Pure Vida

purevidabracelets.com

Pure Vida bracelets have partnered with over 190 different charities and have donated more than $935,358 to those charities to date. Every Pura Vida Bracelet is handcrafted by artisans in Costa Rica and in addition to donating 1 percent of their annual revenue to environmental organizations, they've also partnered with over 190 charities (donating nearly one million dollars). 

6. Love Your Melon

loveyourmelon.com

Love Your Melon is an apparel brand dedicated to giving a hat to every child battling cancer in America, as well as supporting nonprofit organizations that lead the fight against pediatric cancer. These nonprofit partners work in the field of pediatric oncology, fund cancer research initiatives and provide immediate support for families of children battling cancer. Fifty percent of profits from the sales of all Love Your Melon products is given to nonprofit partners.  

7. ROMA

romafoundation.com

For every pair of ROMA boots purchased, Roma will donate a pair to a child in need and also gives 10 percent of all its proceeds to help fund global educational initiatives. By closely working with its partners, ROMA has donated boots to 25 countries across five continents. 

8. BOGO Bowl

bogobowl.org

For every bag of BOGO Bowl food you purchase, one bag will be donated to a partner shelter to help at-risk dogs and cats.

9. Sudara

sudara.org

Every Sudara product purchased helps create opportunities for the women making them by fighting against slavery and sex-trafficking, and by giving women the chance to gain job skills and a long-term career.  

10. Good Spread

helpgoodspread.com

Good Spread helps in fighting the global epidemic of malnutrition among children by using portions of their profits to donate to Mana. Mana is a Ready-To-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF) with simple ingredients — peanut butter, milk and multivitamins — that cures 96 percent of children who are treated with it.

11. FEED

feedprojects.con

Every one of Feed's products has a number stamped on it that signifies the amount of meals or micronutrient packets provided with its purchase. All of the products are produced under fair labor conditions using environmentally friendly materials, including organic cotton and burlap. Feed works with artisans in Colombia, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Kenya, Mexico and Peru to provide sustainable livelihoods to underserved populations. Meals are provided in the countries where the goods are made and Feed supports school feeding in 63 countries.

12. WeWOOD

we-wood.com

In collaboration with nonprofit organizations such as American Forests and Trees for the Future, for each watch sold, WeWOOD plants a tree.

13. DIFF Charitable Eyewear

diffeyewear.com

DIFF Charitable Eyewear partners with the SABO Project to provide free vision exams and will donate a pair of reading glasses to children in rural Africa through Eyes on Africa for every pair you purchase.

14. One World Play Project

oneworldplayproject.com

One World Play Project is able to give thousands of soccer balls and play resources to organizations working with youth in disadvantaged communities worldwide.

15. FIGS

wearfigs.com

Many medical professionals in resource-poor areas do not have access to basic medical supplies, including scrubs. Clean scrubs reduce hospital-acquired infection rates by 66 percent. For every set of scrubs sold, FIGS gives a set to a healthcare provider in need around the world. So far, they've donated over 75,000 sets in 28 countries.

Shop for a change of livelihoods, research, the environment and the health of others. The notion of conscious consumerism is a force that’s driving the way people shop and the way that businesses operate. If you are going to be a consumer, you might as well be a part of social consumerism and help build lives and communities. Don’t just give to those you know, give to those in need. 

Lead Image Credit: Artificial Photography via Unsplash

Hannah Belle Hurt - Butler University

Hannah is an Environmental Studies major at Butler University in Indianapolis, IN. She is a lover of caffeine, Food Documentaries, and foliage. She is from Nashville, Tennessee and began writing for FreshU in May of 2016. Follow her on Instagram @hannahbelle97 and twitter @hanabelle97.