Display rochester house
by Hannah Holzer

University of Rochester Students Jump From House To Flee Fire

By Hannah Holzer - Aug 04 2016

Three students who attend the University of Rochester in New York are reportedly all safe after being forced to jump from a second story window of their house in Rochester at 3:00 a.m. due to a fire that broke out suddenly.

Next door neighbor Kat Bakrania, who is a good friend with one of the inhabitants of the house that erupted in flames, smelled smoke around 2:30 a.m. but could not detect the cause. Soon after, she heard yells and looked out her window to see the house next to hers burning.

"She's going to have a tough time with this,” Bakrania told WHAM ABC 13 News in regards to her friend who was forced to escape her burning house. “We're all going to have a tough time with this. You don't really expect something like this to happen. No one does."

Bakrania’s house also suffered a bit of damage due to the fire – the siding nearest to their neighbors’ house looks warped and melted.

Officials from the fire department which arrived on the scene told News 10 WHEC that the fire had grown so quickly that by the time they arrived the front lawn was on fire.

The University of Rochester students who live in the house and who were forced to jump from an upstairs window have sustained some broken bones from the jump. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.

Lead Image Credit: WHAM 13 News

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.