Display tyrabanks
by Hannah Holzer

Tyra Banks Will Co-Teach Class At Stanford Business School

By Hannah Holzer - Aug 24 2016

You wanna be on top? Because America’s Next Top Model creator, occasional actress, writer, business woman and, of course, model, Tyra Banks, is set to co-teach a two-week Stanford University MBA class.

The course, titled “Project You: Building and Extending Your Personal Brand,” will teach about 25 students the logistics of building their own brand and managing a company. On their website, Stanford describes the course as an opportunity for students to “create their own specific image to support their brand, (learn) how to navigate on-air exposure, and ... create a long-term strategy for how to promote (a) personal brand across several media platforms.”

Tyra Banks, aside from being somewhat of a Renaissance woman, is also the chief executive of TYRA Beauty, her personal beauty supply brand. After attending a Harvard course titled “Owner/President Management Program” – which did not count towards nor earn a degree or certificate of any sorts – Banks created her personal beauty product brand, which functions in a similar manner to Mary Kay; those interested in making money invest in the brand and work to promote it by making connections and hosting parties.

“I believe makeup is the great beauty equalizer,” the TYRA Beauty website states. “With groundbreaking beauty technology and innovative formulas, I’m giving you the power to transform what you’ve got…into what you want. As a young model, I studied how world-renowned makeup artists transformed my face, and I mastered their craft. I applied my fiercest face at fashion shows, and my fellow supermodels started lining up for me to paint their faces, too! On America’s Next Top Model, I have given TYovers, model makeovers, for the last decade, and now it’s time for me to Ty-YOU-over!”

If you are lucky enough to be selected as one of the 25 students to have Professor Banks co-teach your class – alongside Allison Kluger, a professor at Stanford and former producer for such TV shows as “The View” – work to impress her, maybe by smizing in her direction. 

Lead Image Credit: Digitas Photos; via Flickr Commons

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.