by Hannah Holzer

This Girl Graduated High School In Two Years And Earned A Full College Scholarship While Being Homeless

By Hannah Holzer - Jun 30 2016

High school, with its plethora of drama, changes and workload, was hard enough on the majority of us as is. But despite living in a homeless shelter, Destyni Tyree, at only 16 years old, graduated high school in only two years and at the top of her class, as reported by Essence.

According to an interview conducted by ABC News, seen below, Tyree partnered with her high school’s principal and took summer classes in order to graduate in only two years. 

"I don't want to live in a shelter when I get older," Tyree told NBC 4 Washington. "I want to better my life, so that gave me the drive to do what I want to do.”

An impressive academic student, Tyree was also crowned Prom Queen and was captain of her school’s cheerleading team, according to ABC News.

Tyree also received a full scholarship from Potomac State College, where she will be attending school. A GoFundMe page, which has already amassed over $18,000, was set up and can be viewed here to pay for additional college expenses which were not covered in the scholarship.

Tyree is an incredible girl who has overcome so many obstacles in order to achieve her goal of an education. Congrats on all of your hard work and good luck at college!

Lead Image Credit: ABC News

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.