by Hannah Holzer

This College Student Won The Lottery And You'll Probably Guess How She's Spending the Money

By Hannah Holzer - Jun 30 2016

With college tuition rates rising, there may be one clear solution for students everywhere to pay off fees and loans: win the lottery. Albeit an unlikely outcome, the strategy worked well for Julia Carlton, who, as reported by Arkansas Online here, won $100,000 after purchasing a ticket for the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery.

Arkansas Online reported that Carlton, who attends North Arkansas College, told Lottery spokespeople she would use the money to pay for her college tuition. The purchase of a lottery ticket had rewarding consequences for several other college student earlier in the year. The Chicago Patch reported in February that a University of Illinois student had won $1,000,000 in the Powerball after testing his luck.

Although the actual chances of winning a million, or even a hundred thousand dollars are quite slim – a one in 175 million chance to win a million dollar lottery, as reported by The Huffington Post – for these students, the odds worked in their favor.

Lead Image Credit: Smart Winners via Flickr Commons

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.