Display robot
by Hannah Holzer

Students Build Bomb-Detecting Robot For RNC

By Hannah Holzer - Jul 16 2016

The Republican National Convention, which is quickly approaching and will take place from July 18 through the 21, will be protected by a bomb-detecting robot made by students in Cleveland, Ohio, where the RNC will take place.

These Cleveland students are part of the Tri-C Gateway to College program at Cuyahoga Community College, which “allows students to complete their high school requirements while simultaneously progressing toward a college degree or certificate,” according to their website.

This group of students already won the Robotics World Championship using a different robot competing against approximately 700 teams from around the world. They were asked by the Cleveland Police unit to build a robot for the convention and given $500 to do so.

The students also worked with the police department’s bomb squad to design the robot. The robot created by the Tri-C students works faster and more efficiently than the police department’s full-scale robot, according to Fox 8.

“The greatest purpose for this robot is that it can help protect people,” said team member Iris Harris to Fox 8 Cleveland News. “Also, with so much going on in this world, it can help protect our community.”

According to Fox 8, the students named the security robot “The Griffin” after a teammate who passed away before the international competition. The robot itself is referred to as a ‘spy bot’ or ‘scout bot’ because it is equipped with a camera and can send security footage and because of its small design and ability to travel into compact spaces.

“The greatest purpose that it can achieve – while they are using it – is to be able to save someone’s life,” one member told Fox 8

Lead Image Credits: Fox 8

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.