Display sweeps
by Hannah Holzer

Start-Up Allows College Students To Earn Money While Helping Their Communities

By Hannah Holzer - Aug 24 2016

If you are a college student in North Carolina and feel like giving back to the community – but would not be averse to getting paid while doing so – the start-up company Sweeps might be for you.

Sweeps caters specifically to college students looking to make a few extra dollars by doing odd jobs. The students are paid per hour and do not have to pay to use the site, nor does an employer looking to hire help.

According to Forbes, Sweeps looks to promote only the most qualified college students for local jobs – only 28% of applicants are selected to be featured on their website to interested employers. The vetting process is a thorough four steps.

On their website, Sweeps states that their “Sweepers” can assist those looking for help with such tasks as moving, home care, painting, events and technology assistance. Currently, Sweeps reports they have 1,127 college students ready to lend a helping hand!

The start-up was founded by University of North Carolina graduate Morris Gelblum and his mother, who have been working to create an efficient and productive system since 2004, when they founded Sweeps.

“After going to UNC and taking entrepreneurship classes, we came up with a much expanded and more scalable model,” Gelblum told the UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School about creating his start-up. “Our vision is to be the best way to hire the right college student for just about anything. What excites me most is to see something that didn’t exist before and know that it is already serving a lot of people and making an impact. It has the potential and power to make the world a little bit better. That is the epitome of why I love being an entrepreneur.”

The good heartedness of Gelblum’s business model comes through in their three mission statements: 'to foster a beneficial and stable community, to love what we do and do what we love and to act with integrity and curiosity.'

Unfortunately, at the present time Sweeps is only available in the cities of Asheville, Boone, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Greensboro, Greenville, Raleigh, Wilmington and Durham – all in North Carolina. With their genuine and community-oriented business model to help out bright college students, one can only hope this start-up expands nationwide.

For all of you in these areas, we encourage you to lend a helping hand and earn some money while at college! Just be safe about it, too. Do it with a friend!

Lead Image Credit: Sweeps website

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.