Display dogs 1
by Hannah Holzer

High School Cross Country Team Takes Local Shelter Dogs on Their Run

By Hannah Holzer - Aug 15 2016

The sweaty and inelegant sport of cross-country running became much more adorable recently. St. Joseph High School’s Cross Country Team decided to invite along dogs from the Santa Barbara County Animal Shelter on their run.

Each running student had a leashed dog partner to accompany them.

“This morning me and the St. Joseph High School Cross Country Team conducted our workout at the County Animal Shelter in Santa Maria,” Cross Country Coach Luis Escobar wrote on his personal Facebook. “We successfully completed the first ever team Dog Run! Each team member was assigned a dog and we went out for a couple miles around the shelter. I am not sure who was more excited and having the most fun...the dogs or the kids. Either way, it was a great time and I am sure we will do it again sometime soon.”

Post via St. Joseph Athletics Facebook page

Stacy Silva, the shelter’s community outreach coordinator who helped make the “Dog Run” a reality told Buzzfeed that some of the dogs taken along had never been on a run or even on a leash before.

“I think the biggest thing is the interest it has garnered in other communities and raising awareness and making a difference in the lives of shelter dogs,” Silva told Buzzfeed.

The Santa Barbara County Animal Shelter has pets up for adoption and their Facebook page can be found here.

This kind act is a big reminder to adopt pets who need both a loving home and exercise.

Lead Image Credit: St. Joseph Athletics via Facebook

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.