Display florida
by Hannah Holzer

Florida Gators Linebacker Intervenes and Stops Sexual Assault

By Hannah Holzer - Jul 26 2016

University of Florida sophomore Cristian Garcia, who is also a junior linebacker for the Florida Gators football team, intervened when he saw a sexual assault taking place behind the restaurant he was working at.

"I was taking out the garbage, and I saw the man pressing the woman up against the dumpster,” Garcia said to “At first the guy said she was his girlfriend, but about five seconds later I realized the girl was unconscious. I turned around and pulled the guy by the shoulder and said, ‘Get off.’ That pretty much ended the situation then. He was intoxicated and attempted to throw some punches, but he slipped and busted his face on the wall.”

Garcia also told a local news station that he does not “think anyone should be taken advantage of in that kind of way” and because he knew the girl who was being assaulted was “basically unconscious” he knew “there was no way she could be giving consent.” Furthermore, Garcia told the station that a crowd of the assaulter’s friends had gathered to watch.

Since the event, police believe they have caught the perpetrator who they suspect may have committed additional rapes.

Although the assault took place off of the University of Florida campus, UF released a report at the end of 2015 which showed the results of a survey 17 percent of students participated in. The report revealed that one in five female undergraduates at the university said they had been assaulted in some form and 92 percent of all those surveyed who reported they had been assaulted said it was a peer of theirs at UF.

Hopefully Garcia’s actions can spark a conversation about consent and aide in decreasing sexual assaults at and near UF.

Lead Image Credit: photo-gator

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.