Display tzb
by Hannah Holzer

College Student Intervenes in Suicide Attempt and Saves a Life

By Hannah Holzer - Aug 01 2016

A 21-year-old University of Hartford student was stopped in traffic when he noticed a man who looked to be in his 20s running straight towards the railing of the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York. Nicholas Doddo parked his car in the middle of the traffic jam and ran through several lanes of traffic to reach the man, who was climbing over the barrier – Doddo reached him in time and pulled him over by grabbing the clothes the man was wearing.

According to the Daily Voice, the running man was silent at first but soon after came to and told his ambulance driver he had attempted the suicide because “no one liked him.”

“The whole thing was tragic. I’ve been absolutely humbled by the experience,” Doddo told the Daily Voice.

“In hindsight, everything worked out, and it was a blessing,”

Publicly, Doddo wrote about the experience on his Facebook:

“I’m at a total loss for words, I can't thank all of you enough for the positivity and love that has been pouring in over the past couple of days. I don't consider myself to be a hero or most of the other compliments I have been getting. In fact I was extremely scared and only thought to do what I hope anybody would do for another person truly in need. I'm extremely happy and fortunate everything worked out the way it did and that nobody got hurt. Thank you all again for the incredible amount of support, you're all absolutely amazing and your caring goes a long way.”

Hopefully Doddo’s brave deed will encourage those who see potentially devastating situations to act, and not simply be a bystander. Additionally, those who feel hopeless should not hesitate in seeking help.

Lead Image Credit: sp.sullivan; S.P. Sullivan via Flickr Commons

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.