by Hannah Holzer

College-bound Student Left Paralyzed After Dive Into Pool

By Hannah Holzer - Jul 04 2016

Less than a week after his graduation from Pleasant Grove High School in California, Tony Nguyen, college-bound, took a bad dive into a friend’s pool which would leave him paralyzed, according to The Sacramento Bee.

The Bee reports that following the dive, Nguyen was left with a broken neck and harm to his spinal cord due to hitting his head on the bottom of the pool.

“The doctor said based on his age there is a 10 to 20 percent chance that he might regain some sort of movement or be able to walk,” Lynda Yap, Nguyen’s sister, told The Bee. “If he does learn how to walk again it will probably be a few steps inside a house on a flat surface.”

Nguyen was supposed to start school at Cosumnes River College in the Fall to study Criminal Justice in the hopes of becoming a police officer. According to The Bee, he still hopes to pursue that career path, although he is relearning to talk.

A GoFundMe page was started to assist in the payment of Nguyen’s medical expenses and can be accessed here.

The Bee reported that Nguyen’s family hopes to spread a warning about the dangers of diving into pools.

In a handbook for pool safety published by the Red Cross in 2009, proper diving measures, such as learning how to dive from a certified instructor and taking proper precautions for yourself and those around you, are necessities when diving.

“Although diving is a safe activity under adequate supervision in designated diving areas using the proper equipment, a head, neck or back injury can happen if safe diving principles are not followed—even in the deep end of a pool,” The Red Cross reports in the guide. “Diving-related injuries have occurred from collisions with other pool users, from the dives themselves or from falls from diving boards, jumpboards, 3-meter stands and from poolside.”

As water-related activities heighten during the summer season, taking proper steps before diving might save a life.

Lead Image Credit: Pexels.com

Hannah Holzer - UC Davis

Soon-to-be UC Davis freshman, journalist, film enthusiast & baker extraordinaire.