The Princeton Review has released their annual “The Best 379 Colleges” data which includes 62 “Top-20” lists created using the results of surveys given to a random sample of 130,000 students at 379 top colleges in the nation about such factors as the prevalence of parties, their satisfaction with on-campus food and professors at their schools.

Each “Top-20” list was comprised with the results of the large survey, but ranks schools on varying factors. Two “Top-20” lists ranked the top schools with the most friendly and unfriendly attitudes towards their LGBTQ+ student population.

The 20 most LGBT-friendly colleges in the nation are listed below.

List via LGBTQ Nation

Stanford University in California topped the list as the most friendly. In second place is Oberlin College, a private liberal arts college in Ohio with about 3,000 students. In third place is Emerson College, a private liberal arts school of about 4,500 students. It is notable that most of the “friendly” schools on the list are small, private liberal arts college.

The 20 LGBT-unfriendly schools are listed below.

List via LGBTQ Nation

On the top of this list is College of the Ozarks, a Christian liberal arts college in Missouri with about 1,500 students. College of the Ozarks is followed by Grove City College – a Christian liberal arts college of about 2,500 in Pennsylvania – and Wheaton College – a private Christian liberal arts college of 3,000 in Illinois.

15 of the schools on the list of 20 are returnees from last year, but the five new schools are Hampden-Sydney College (an all-male liberal arts college), the University of Tennessee, Gordon College (a liberal arts Christian college), Indiana University of Pennsylvania and the University of Mississippi.

Although Wheaton stands by their strong, biblical principles, alumni of the College have formed a group called OneWheaton, an inclusive support group for LGBTQ+ Wheaton graduates.

Lead Image Credit: Photo of Stanford University from Don McCullough; via Flickr Commons