Display laptop
by Hannah Cooper

5 Ways to Ace Your Online Class This Semester

By Hannah Cooper - Jan 23 2018

Online classes are cool because you can get your credits without the burden of going to class. But with online classes, there are five important things to remember in order to be successful.

1. Be proactive about your work.

With an online class, you have the benefit of choosing when you do your work and how you choose to allocate your time. It is important to get your work done ahead of time, or at least at a good, consistent pace so you are not drowning in all of your work at the last minute.

2. Network with your classmates.

In most cases, you can access the emails of others in your online class via Blackboard or Canvas, so use this to your advantage! Meet up with these people so you can build relationships and study with people in a class where you don't usually have the opportunity to interact with people.

3. Use the Chrome add-on called Vimeo.

On Google Chrome, you can get an add-on called Vimeo Repeat and Speed that will allow you to speed up or slow down online lecture videos. This is extremely helpful if you need a little more time to take your notes or if you're reviewing and trying to speed through lectures. 

4. Take efficient notes.

In a classic lecture setting, you tend to take better notes because you have to keep up with the professor and take down only what is really important. It is important in online classes to not only take notes, but to take notes efficiently. I suggest taking handwritten notes because you tend to have a greater understanding of what you're writing when it's handwritten rather than typed.

5. Contact your professor and TAs.

Even though you never really get to see the professor of your class, it is still important to establish a relationship with your professor. Don't hesitate to contact your professor with questions and advice.

Now that you've got the tips and tricks to success, have fun getting credits without having to actually go to class!

Lead Image Credit: via Pexels

Hannah Cooper - University of California, Irvine

Hannah is a freshman at UC Irvine who is majoring in Business Management, with an emphasis in marketing. She enjoys coffee, cats, and good music. She knows all the words to the full version of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song and doesn't miss an episode of Saturday Night Live.