Display 1118 dating 970 630x420
by Hanna Kang

Wait to Date: Why You Should Stay Single in Community College

By Hanna Kang - Mar 10 2016

A few days ago, I read an article on Elite Daily titled “5 Good Reasons For Every Girl To Stay Single While In College.” The writer writes in the third paragraph of her article: “College should be about making mistakes and most importantly, enjoying oneself.”

But the writer’s philosophy is almost completely applicable to students attending four-year universities. Community college students, like myself, cannot afford to make mistakes and enjoy ourselves. There’s far too much for us to learn and accomplish in a few, short years to risk anything at all.

She also writes: “Thinking about commitment and settling down will only distract from the four short years we have to figure out what the hell we want to do with our lives.”

This is a concept that appears over and over again in almost all “Why You Shouldn’t Date” types of articles. Again, it only applies to students already at a four-year. Here, we don’t have the luxury to figure out what we want to do with our lives—we have to know exactly what we’re going to do in order to successfully transfer to our dream schools.

Of course, one might argue that community college isn’t only for those who are looking to transfer. That’s something I’m well-aware of—if you’re married, have kids, are a visitor from a faraway country or are a senior citizen, you can stop reading now. But if you’re a prospective transfer student, keep reading. I hope you’ll get something valuable out of this and make wise decisions until the day the acceptance letter from your dream college flies into your inbox.

As a single person, it’s definitely hard to watch all of your friends be lovey-dovey with their significant others. While there are many comforts and benefits of having a boyfriend or girlfriend, without one, you’ll have an easier time focusing on academics. This is a time when you must put your complete attention on maintaining a high GPA and tailoring your academic résumé to fit the schools you plan on transferring to. Think about how you would want your bosses, professors and peers to describe you. You don’t want your letters of rec to be lackluster, now do you? I didn’t think so.

Be attracted to good grades and academic opportunities, not all the wrong people.

While academics and meaningful extracurriculars are key to scoring a fruitful transfer experience, your inner development is just as important. The uniqueness admissions officers sought back when you were a high school senior loses its value if you haven’t grown from attending a community college. They want to see how much you’ve matured, how much your education meant and will mean to you beyond the gates of any school. If you spend all your time at a CC crying on your friend’s shoulder about a guy you’re not about ready to let go, you won’t ever be able to discover your real hobbies, interests and passions, or why you want to transfer to a particular university.

Without definite plans and goals, you can’t achieve anything. First and foremost, you have to change your mindset, if you haven’t already. This isn’t high school—it’s not okay to be sloppy and reckless anymore. Remember, a community college is still a college.

Me, myself and I. That’s all I’m going to focus on for the remaining two semesters I have here at a community college. And maybe I’ll go on and get myself a boyfriend once I transfer, if I’d like.

Lead Image Credit: Bloomberg 

Hanna Kang - Mt. San Antonio College