Display inbal marilli 3425 unsplash
by Hallie Feinman

6 Ways To “Fall” In Love With Fall on Campus

By Hallie Feinman - Oct 18 2018

It’s fall! It’s fall! Autumn may have started on September 22, but for me, it’s not fall until there’s a nip in the air. Sweater weather means hot drinks, fluffy blankets and plenty of spooktacular fun. Some of you may be wondering how you can celebrate without your favorite three-wick candle or space heater (all fire hazards in every and any dorm), but worry not! There are plenty of ways to give a warm and cozy welcome to the new season!

1. Find activities to do around school.

Each school has a student-run organization dedicated to putting together fun activities throughout the year. At William and Mary, we have Alma Mater Productions (AMP). Some of the different activities they’re putting on in October include a murder mystery dinner party, Humans vs. Zombies, and different horror movie showings. Events hosted by programming bodies are fun and creative but most importantly, they’re free! The best kind type of fun!

2. Check out your college town.

Even though campus grounds may be your home base, you’d be surprised by how much goes on in the rest of town. Farmer's markets, fall fun-runs, corn mazes and haunted trails/houses are all yours for the taking if you know where to look. Check the upcoming events in your local paper and you might be surprised what you find.

3. Decorate your dorm.

Sometimes all you need is a change of scenery. Luckily, you only have to go a far as Goodwill. Get together with your roommate, find some decorations that are really "screaming" your name and get to work. In one afternoon you can have a sweet new creepy (or leafy) pad.

4. Update your wardrobe.

Take full advantage of fall break by switching out your clothes for the ones you originally left at home. Let's face it, fall is when we really start dressing to impress. So pull out the sweaters, the flannels, and the pullovers. Your body (and Instagram) will thank you.

5. Jump in some leaves.

We’re all broke college students here, I get it. You want to celebrate the greatest season of all time, but you don’t exactly have the funds to drop on a new sweater or a dozen PSLs. So, go find some leaves, pile ‘em up and jump! Do it, trust me— the crunchier, the better. Leaf jumping is a fast and affordable way to feel super spooky--BOOlin’ on a budget.

6. Have an autumnal entertainment binge.

It’s time to shelve the summer hits--ABC Family’s 31 Nights of Halloween is here, and so are we. Update your Spotify playlist and tuck yourself in with a good thriller. Even better: host a spooky movie night on campus with all your freaky friends! And here's a pro-tip: don’t let TV or YouTube distract you from the things that matter. In moderation, though, a good ol’ Netflix binge is just what the doctor ordered.

Welcome the greatest season of all to your new home. Who knows, all this autumnal joy may help you “fall” in love with your campus even more!

Hallie Feinman - The College of William and Mary

Just a TWAMP livin' it up in the swamp. I am focused on American Studies, Film and Media, and Music. Catch me watching YouTube, working for student publications, and singing jazz in a big band.