Display celebrating national siblings day photo3
by Haley Young

The Top 5 Things About Being The Youngest In Your Family To go To College

By Haley Young - Nov 02 2015

1. You already had your alone time.

It's easy to be jealous of our siblings when we have to compete with them for our parents' attention, but being the baby in the family means that we already had at least a year where it was just us left in the house. I know that I can't be the only one who was completely showered with attention my senior year of high school. Now that we've felt properly doted (perhaps too much so) we can comfortably head off to college knowing that our parents really do love us. 

2. You know all of the lifehacks.

Being the youngest in the family means that, not only do you learn from your mistakes, but you also get to learn from those your siblings made before you. You can take away knowledge from the experiences your older brothers and sisters have had and thus be much more prepared for college than the average freshman. You know what to pack, the things you're likely to forget, how to handle a horrible roommate, the secrets to surviving dining hall food... you're practically a seasoned veteran even before you set foot on campus.

3. You have super accessible resources.

On that same note, your siblings have already done this. They're an extremely valuable and accessible resource to go to with all of your questions - after all, who's going to understand your most trivial concerns better than the people you grew up with? They're here for everything you don't feel comfortable asking mom or your RA about.

4. You're so, so ready to be an adult.

Being babied for years makes you even more excited to finally go off and do your own, totally awesome adult thing. The transition is still hard, but you spent so much time being branded as the 'little one' that your moment to finally break away and create a life for yourself seems even sweeter than you could have imagined. You'll always be the baby in your family, but at least now you have the chance to make a name for yourself that isn't intricately tied to the reputation your siblings had before you.

5. Your parents are (at least a little) more prepared to see you go.

Your family has been through this before, and although it's going to be different having a completely empty nest, at least your parents have experience with sending their prides and joys off to college. It'll be a little easier this time around since they've already been through all of the emotions and they know how to deal with the separation. You both have a good idea how often to call, how often to visit, and what it'll be like to be away from someone who has been such an enormous part of your life.

Lead image credit to

Haley Young - University of Wisconsin–Madison

Haley Young is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin Madison and loves everything about being a Cheesehead. Writing is her biggest passion, but she's pretty fond of bad puns and Christmas lights too. You can find out more about her and her work at